Tough tasks and bittersweet endings

a/n: content warnings:

before you begin, please note that this chapter includes slightly violent scenes containing blood, people being shot, and/or yelling with pain (nobody dies though); so proceed with caution

X debated on taking them down with his gun, but the element of surprise was everything in their plan, and gunshots would certainly ruin that.

So he slowly kept the gun beneath his feet and raised his arms above his head, showing that he was surrendering. The operative facing him smirked slightly but didn't lower his own gun. 'Smart choice, Agent X. If you'd resisted, we would have had to harm you to make sure you wouldn't try to do anything funny.'

X didn't offer any reaction, and quietly let them handcuff him. His mind was racing as he came up with plans ranging from shoving them and making a run for it, to relying on Hacker and Sheaf, wherever they were.

However, those ideas were quickly put to rest when he saw Hacker and Sheaf, tied up like him, being led to a mysterious room. He exchanged glances with them and gestured for them to stay silent until they figured out what was happening.

They were made to sit on chairs arranged in a row, facing a blank wall. The room in question wasn't very impressive; it was laid out with the bare necessities of sofas, tables and chairs against a background of sterile white walls.

Presently, they heard someone open the door behind them. Multiple footsteps echoed across the marble floor and came to a stop in front of them X got an immediate dejavu as he stared into Shell's eyes with contempt.

'Well, well, well. What do we have here?' she asked with a hearty chuckle. 'Agent X and his team, all wrapped up and kept on a silver platter for me.'

X kept quiet and didn't rise to the bait she was tauntingly dangling in front of him. His silence didn't deter her though, and she just stared at him with that amused smile on her face.

'Since you've made it this far, I'm assuming you already know all my plans for world domination. And that this was a desperate attempt to try and stop me. Oh Agent X, you really should know better by now. In fact, I'm wondering why we even took you in the first place. All your plans seem to be failing one after the other.' she mocked him. X still kept quiet, his face frowning in concentration.

Shell frowned at him at his lack of response, but decided to brush it off without much thought. She had many more important things to accomplish anyway.

She gestured to the guards standing next to her and pointed at the three of them. The guards nodded and stood in front of them with watchful attention. Shell gave Agent X one last look of contempt.

'You know, Agent X, you really should stop worrying so much. I don't want the complete destruction of this world any more than you do. After all, a ruler is nothing without her subjects. I just want the world to be in the hands of someone capable of bringing it to new heights. And if this is the way I get control of it, then so be it.' she told him and briskly walked out of the room.