timeline | JEON JUNGKOOK

JUNGKOOK
THE INCIDENT WITH
THE KEYS

Contrary to popular belief, Jungkook came into the possession of Taehyung's keys in the most unexpected of ways and not through the act of theft.

That specific detention, where Jungkook had been in a particularly teasing mood, witnessing a flustered Kim Taehyung brought him a sense of satisfaction that nothing else had been able to. Along with that satisfaction followed sheer amusement, as the older fell right into his trap of arguing over the titles of the top and the bottom in their currently non-existent relationship.

He should have expected it really: Taehyung had always been one to run away from his problems and live in denial, based on what Jimin told him. Then again, maybe that was just his hatred speaking — until recently, Jungkook hadn't even known that his best friend could contain so much venom towards anyone.

Of course, it was understandable. From what Jihyun had relayed to Jimin, Taehyung had supposedly taken advantage of the younger boy. The event did not entirely strike Jungkook as being truthful but as a deterrent once more, it was not as if he knew the brunet well at all. The liking he had harboured towards Taehyung disappeared the moment Jimin stated the incident as fact.

Perhaps that was why guilt hadn't acted as a factor that heavily influenced his decision in accepting the bet: to break Taehyung's heart. Cliché, if he could say so himself but still, what other way could Jimin have attempted to exact his revenge? There was only so much hatred one could contain within themselves before it threatened to take violent forms.

As soon as detention had been dismissed, Taehyung bolted for the door without even so much as a backward glance. It amused Jungkook to know that he had such an effect on the brunet still. Maybe this bet would be easier than he originally expected.

It had been over a month since the game had begun between him and Jimin but till now, he hadn't even attempted a substantial move to progress forwards. Jungkook wasn't exactly a procrastinator so he did not understand why he was so unwilling to win despite it being everything he wanted.

"Hey, man," Yugyeom slung an arm over Jungkook's shoulder as the latter sauntered towards the front of the room. "Had fun at the back of the room?" The grey-haired boy shot him a wink. "Haven't you been crushing on that dude for like, years?"

Bambam nodded his head in agreement, falling into step beside them, "Three years, to be exact. You never used to shut up about Kim Taehyung." All Jungkook could respond with was an eye-roll.

Since the beginning of his high-school years, he had been part of a trio with the two boys and so, it wasn't exactly surprising for them to remember his childish interests from so long ago. However, despite knowing that his like for Taehyung had waned, they didn't know the reason — Jungkook kept it to himself, not wanting to expose such personal matters to anyone outside of direct relevance.

"Come on, are you trying to get with him again?" Yugyeom nudged his side, frowning at his lack of a reaction. "Jeon, spill the damn tea before I make you." As if to agree with his grey-headed friend, Bambam flicked the back of Jungkook's head.

"Knock it off," huffed Jungkook, shrugging their arms off his shoulders. "There's nothing new to tell, alright? Just something between me and Jimin, not a big deal."

At the mention of Jimin's name, both boys scrunched their faces into expressions of distaste. It was no secret that Jungkook's closest friends could not stand each other's presence. Irritating at times, it left the ravenet to split his time in school with the pair and his time outside with the other, a routine that had stuck for the past two years.