TWENTY-THREE | stay with me

◇◇◇∥◇◇◇

◇◇◇∥◇◇◇

"Excuse me?"

Taehyung's incredulous tone made Jungkook wince, knowing full too well how utterly ridiculous his idea sounded - and how it made him sound; like an egoistical ašshole.

"Look," Jungkook sighed, voice soft. "I know it seems stupid but I'm not asking you to do that for my own gain."
Taehyung snorted at that, "Really? Since when had Jeon Jungkook done anything without ulterior motives?"

Jungkook flinched, clearing his throat, "I deserved that but I really do mean it, Taehyung. I don't want to get anything out of this. I just want you to know that right now, this seems like the best option."
"To you, maybe," Taehyung scoffed with a shake of his head. "I have alternatives."

Jungkook couldn't help the edge that crept into his voice, "Yeah? Like what? Your Yoongi doesn't seem to be at his studio. You can't go to your Hyuk. You don't have an apartment to get back to. Where exactly are you going to stay? On the streets?"

The words were harsh, cold even - but they seemed to get the message across. Taehyung ducked his head, lips pursed. Yet there was an openness to his face, sheer disbelief. He looked . . . vulnerable.

"Listen, Tae," Jungkook began with a heavy sigh, softening his tone. "It's not going to be permanent. I'm-" He paused for a moment before nodding his head again in resolution. "I'm going to get your apartment back for you."

At that, Taehyung let out a bitter laugh. The sound was so cynical that Jungkook couldn't help but wince. It seemed so hopeless. He hated it.

"Isn't it your fault that it's gone in the first place?" Taehyung shook his head, his wet hair matting to his forehead. "I don't have a single reason to trust you. Not a single one. So, please. Don't ask me to, Jungkook. Please."

By that last sentence, the stability in Taehyung's voice wavered, his facade cracking. Jungkook didn't blame him. He had stomped on the brunette's heart and pulled it apart into fragments - Taehyung had every right to distrust any action of his.

"Taehyung . . . I promise I won't break your trust this time around. It was inevitable before but now, I know how much you mean to me. I wouldn't be out here if I didn't," Jungkook reached out hesitantly across the table to hold the other's hand.

To be frank, he expected the boy to recoil, pull his hand away and maybe even slap another handprint onto his cheek. But to his surprise, Taehyung stayed perfectly motionless.

Jungkook cleared his throat, pushing himself to continue, "I'm not asking you to trust me. Just . . . take me up on the offer. Stay at the penthouse. If I do anything wrong this time, I swear. I swear I won't ever try to interact with you again."