SCENE ONE. the forgiveness of a mayfield

the first person to visit piper parker was in fact not steve or even robin. but a small ginger girl holding a large bouquet of what appeared to be wildflowers. max had picked those herself, piper could see the bruises on the girls fingers from here. but she could also see those red puffy eyes. piper doesn't exactly remember what had happened in the mall, but she did remember rewatching all her memories with el. as if the wall she had built blocking out her memories of thomas wasn't there at all.

"max." the girl cried, holding her hand out and a small smile lit the girl's face as she completely stepped into the room.which appeared brighter than before brady.

"i got you some urmm flowers.'' she coughed and piper couldn't help the small tinge of her smile on her face as max placed them in the empty spot on the sides, using the sink to fill them with water.

"thank you max." the girl mumbled as the girl joined her. watching her sink into the uncomfortable seats her eyes fell over piper once more. she looked like shit. her face was littered with bruises and cuts from the glass. her hips were completely bandaged up. no doubt a horrific sight hidden below. she had seen the way that thing had grabbed at her, she couldn't imagine what they had told the doctors happened.

"max?" and the girl was pulled from her moment, raising her eyes to look back up at the older girl.

"what happened to the others? like billy?" she asked, and she watched the girl's face fall. and she didn't even need to hear the words. she knew.

"oh."

"please don't say anything else." max commented, voice cracking slightly.and the pair just reminded sat. the only sounds in the room were their soft breathing and the beeping of the machine plugged into the girl every now and again.

"has anyone else been?'' max mumbled and the girl turned to look at her once more, shaking her head. max felt the leap in her chest. she was the first one to visit the girl and it had been a whole week.

"are you staying in hawkins?'' max asked again, she wanted the girl to talk. she couldn't take the silence any longer.

"yeah, unfortunately." the girl replied as another knock at the door came, a woman pushing in a trolley before leaving.

"will you leave?'' max questioned as she raised from the seat, pulling the trolley towards the pair. handing the girl her food on the tray in front of her bed.

"when i get the chance, i hate this town." she replied as she opened the jelly. taking a spoon and scooping some jelly onto it soon. lifting it to her lips as max fell back into the seat.

"ew it's orange, do you want it?" piper asked as her face twisted the second the jelly hit her tongue, max nodding as she took the cup from the girl, deciding not to comment on the abnormally cold touch. and the air remained quite as piper too slow bites of the pineapple in the bowl she had been given. shaking hands lifting the pineapple to her mouth. anditretuned to nothing but silence.

"max, i'm sorry." the girl mumbled, max lifting her eyes to the girl in the bed once more, eyes puffy as tears started to bring her eyes.

"it's okay piper, it's okay." max promised as she lifted from the chair, wrapping her arms around the girl's shoulders as she hugged the girl who laid.

"it's not, i killed him.'' piper cried into the girl's shoulder, she couldn't believe this was happening. she was crying in the arms of someone younger than her. someone whos brother she had murdered.

"you didn't mean to, you were both controlled. it's okay." the girl assured her, she had gained the forgiveness of a mayfield. the forgiveness that she did not deserve.