SCENE SIX. lake days

the summer sun shorner through the white curtains. the girl in the bed groaned, it was too hot. the summer breeze wasn’t even enough to cool her.

"piper!" her mother shouted from the front room, but the girl really couldn’t be bothered to get up.

"no."

"max is on the phone!" and the girl was up. dragging herself from the sweaty sheets and to the phone where her mum stood holding it waiting for her. hearing a group of kids screaming at one another on the other side.

"piper!" the girl shouted as she hummed in response to her being on the call. the screech made the girl quickly pull away the phone from her ear.

"jesus christ." the girl mumbled, hearing the ringing in the ear as she lifted it back up to her ear.

"so the boys are wondering if you would like to join us today." the girl asked, one hand crossing her fingers, hiding from the boys who had hijacked her house. she really didn't want her to be the only girl minus el. obviously not knowing mike would invite nancy and jonathan and steve would bring robin along.

"max it's far too hot to be running after kids.'' the girl was quick to groan, leaning against the wall. pulling her hair from her face.

"we're going to the lake."

"i'll get changed." it's exactly what she needed. a day at the lake, the hot weather. it would be fun to see the group all happy for once. she had heard they were miserable most of the time, especially mike. shower first, she noted. ending the call as she wandered to the shower. the relaxing water spitting out as she weighed out her outfit choice of the day. evenuntally picking out a green swimsuit and a dress. when there was louding beeping just outside. the girl looked through the window as she threw the swimsuit on. steve's car was parked up. and she smiled. the boy climbed from the car as she grabbed her bag. grabbing water bottles from the fridge, sunscreen and a hair brush.

"steve!" she screamed diving for him, the boy wrapping his arms around the girl's waist and lifting in the air as she hugged him. before pressing her lips to his.

"disgusting." a voice in the back commented. the girl peeping over his shoulders found three people squished in the back. dustin, robin and max. and she laughed. throwing her bag in the back before climbing into the passenger seat.

"hey girls." she smiled, robin and max who sat at the windows smiling back. but the boy in the middle. looked like a hurt little puppy.

"it's so unfair that she gets to sit in the front, i'm your best friend!" he groaned, shifting in his seat one more time, still uncomfortable sitting between two girls in steve harrington's car.

"excuse me!" robin was quick to exclaim.

"because she's my girlfriend, dustin.'' and the girl stuck her tongue out at the boy as steve revved up the car before speeding down the road. they were meeting the rest of the group there. nancy, johnathan, lucas, mike, will and el. they turned around the corner coming to the long road to the lake, steve's hand resting on the girl's thigh. rubbing shapes into the skin.

when they pulled up to the lake, there was already a car there. must be jonathan's. and their suspicions were right as they found a group of kids already by the water. nancy and jonathan were knee deep splashing one another. mike was teaching el how to skip rocks and lucas and will were sat on the rocky beach talking, most likely about dnd knowing them two. the other group quickly joined them, piling out of the car. steve pulled robin and piper to a nice spot to sit. where they would later build themselves a fire as it began to get colder in the day.

"have you got sunscreen on?'' piper asked, looking at the group of kids, who just looked amused with her reaction. the girl tutted as she got up from steve's arms, finding her way over to her bag where she kept sunscreen. robin and steve could only laugh as they watched the girl slather sunscreen onto each kid's face before letting theo inthe water.

"proud of yourself?'' steve commented as the girl merely smiled from afar, watching them swim and splash each other.

"i am actually, your turn." she grinned turning to him, flicking the bottle open.

"no!" and he scrambled away. robin laughed as he scrambled over rocks trying to get away. but of course piper was quick to catch up. tackling the boy to the floor and straddling his hips. watching as their faces flushed red before he felt the cool slap of liquid onto his cheek.shutting his eyes as he ran her fingers over the features of his face, making sure every inch was coated in lotion. before leaning down to press the soft kiss to his lips.

“well thank you.” he smiled, puckering his lips as if asking for another.

“shut up.” she grinned, patting his cheek before getting up and joining robin once more. who was quick to drag her over to the water. wanting to swim.