SCENE TWO. that freak munson

the girl stood in the lunch line, face scrunched in disgust at the food before her. one thing she definitely miss about hawkins high school. the food. the other? the people. like the dumb jock beside her that was trying to flirt woth her. flexing his biceps. he was an idiot, sure, but he was kinda hot at the same time. in the dumb jock kinda way. but he wasn't steve harrington, was he? and she grabbed her tray. already knowing she wouldn't eat half of this. she would eat the pot of grapes and the cookie, but she will not touch the pile of wet meat, frozen veg and sloppy mash. weaving her way through students, hearing their conversations as she passed.

"didn't you say that last year?"

"and the year before that?"

"yeah well i was full of shit. this year is different. this year is my year. i can feel it. 86 baby." and he took a step back, and it was as if time seemed slow. the tray slammed against his back as he fell into something. or someone. and then came the cry as the sloppy food hit her white top.

"parker!" eddie cried the second he noticed the girl on the floor. covered in disgusting food. on her face, her hair, her practice cheer uniform. holding his hand out for her but she just huffed as she stood up.

"you fucking freak!" she screamed as she threw the tray at him. storming off. ignoring the sting of tears in her eyes. eddie watching with a smile, sure he felt guilty but he loved irritating people. especially the popular kids.

"your year huh?" garret laughed as eddie watched piper rushed out the door, maybe he should run after her. apologise.

"she's the one for me. i'm telling you." eddie stated as he turned to look back at his little band of freaks. piper couldn't understand how dustin and mike had been pulled into the group of weirdos.

"absolutely not. that's steve's girlfriend." dustin spat. dropping his soon back on the tray.

"ex girlfriend." eddie laughed before returning to their original conversation about dnd. about needing a replacement. and it clicked.

"her. she can lucas's replacement." eddie spoke as he threw another look to the doors she had disappeared.

"dude, she's a cheerleader." jeff spoke, ace scrunching in disgust at the thought of a popular kid joining the hellfire club.

"and she's hot." garret quickly butted in, jeff raising his brow at the boy who nly shrugged his shoulders.

"she'll be at the game too dingus." mike replied, dustin still acting a bit weird about what eddie had implied. he liked eddie. but he also liked steve and piper. steve and piper were made for each other, sure they bickered like an old married couple but that's what made them steve and piper. but still didn't know the reason they broke up. steve had only told him they had broken up. not a reason why. which worried him because steve was quick to move on, flirting with ever girl that seemed to enter the video store. and piper, well piper was distant now. and that's why when he found the girl outside, walking with max who was holding her skateboard. he was quick to run over.

"piper! max!" he shouted, grabbing the straps of his bag to stop it flying everywhere as he ran to get them.

"dustin." the two girls said as they turned to look at him.

"max, i need your help. we need someone to replace lucas's spot tonight." dustin spoke as he sucked in a breath, the red tint fading as he gained his breath back.

"get steve."max spat as she grabbed piper's hand, trying to pull the girl away.

"he's on a date. please." he begged, and piper'sheart stopped. flicking max's hand off as she spun on her heel to look at dustin. the truthfulness of his comment on his face, he looked disappointed in his friend.

"what." piper breathed. herface had fallen.her saddened expression clear on her face. but it was gone just as fast it appeared. you broke up with him, piper. and she only walked away,

"if i play, do i get one of those cool t-shirts." max spoke, looking as if she were interested as she watched piper walk away. watching her lift her hand to her face. poor girl.

"yes." dustin laughed, he was overjoyed. he hoped she would join. he missed her. he missed them. he just wanted his friends back.

"everyone gets a t-shirt. we make them ourselves. and if you.." and he trailed off, noticing the girls mocking expressions on her face. and his smile faded away. oh.

"you're being sarcastic." he commented, and the girl only smiled. dropingher skateboard and skating after piper. he just wanted his mates back. he wanted steve and piper back together. but what he didn't know was max didn't catch up with piper. couldn't find her. piper was gone, but she was actually just hidden in the old art classroom. knees hugged to her chest. sobs raking through her body when the door open.

"oh i'm sorry." a voice spoke as light filled the room. munson.

"parker?" he questioned, she was the last person he expected to find. in the old art classrom, crying in the dark. she looked a wreck. eyes puffy, nose red. makeup smeared. food still in her hair. but as beautiful as ever.