SCENE SIXTEEN. basement ponders

a/n: updates unfortantly will be slow as i currently cannot afford netflix, very sorry but i'm trying my best.

max looked to piper, whose face was as pale as always lately. the had an expression that described the aftermath of skin crawling. the older girl had never looked so scared, not even when the monstrous mind flayer shattered the roof above them. not when mary shouted at her when she had too much to drink. piper looked terrified. her eyes were wide still, but her pupils were shrunk. fear. a trickle of blood ran from her nose.

"i tripped running." she stated smiling as she watched max's eyes flicker to the red. piper reached out slowly, taking max's hand. letting lucas have his moment. he really loved her. she could tell. everyone could, everyone but max. but piper didn't hurt her nose when she tripped. it was bleeding before that. it always randomly started to dribble, but lately a voice or a vision followed. she knew who it was. that slimy thing, it wanted her. she didn't know why, she wasn't that great at anything in reality. he wanted help. he didn't seem like the one to need help. especially of someone like her. a silly little girl. but he choose her to mess with. why?

"we keep eyes on her at all times." steve stated as they get max to the car. her arms were thrown over dustin and lucas's shoulders. piper walked next to steve who keep glancing to the girl rubbing her hand over her hip. odd behaviour. the three kids sat in the back; she sat in the passenger seat. and for a moment everything felt the way it was. back when her and steve would go on 'dates' but end with driving thechildren around. back when max, el and lucas would be cramed in the back laughing and sharing sweets. and then nancy's voice came on the radio. before steve could even reach for it, piper had it in her hands.

"pip to nance."

"nance to pip, hi how is everything over there?"

"struggling. we had a problem."

"max?"

"yeah, we're planning to have something keep watch at all times."

"yeha, that's a brilliant plan. bring her over to the basement, we'll all sit here. robin's trying to covince mum to get pizza."

"speaking of the wheelers, any word of mike yet?"

"not yet, she's getting a bit worried. right. we're waiting." nancy spoke before the connection ended. and piper put the radio back in the cup holder leaning back into the chair with a hum as steve was still side glancing her.

"are you okay?" he mumbled, and her eyes met his. she meets those warm brown angel-like eyes, his brows were curved in worry. why can't he be a dick? why must he be nice? she hated it. it was hard for her to move on when she didn't really hate him. she could not. no matter how hard she tried.

"yeah just put some music on." she replied, pulling her eyes from him. she would crumble. his gaze softened. something was really wrong. so he nodded. turning to turn the radio on, and as if a sign from god. angel eyes by abba started to play softly. she groaned, tossing her head to the side to look out of her window whilst steve keeps his eyes trained on the road ahead. hands gripping the wheel so tightly his knuckles turned white. and the three in the back looked between each other. a very knowing look. and eventually the group arrived at the wheeler house. and meeting nancy in the basement. max remained quite. sat huddled by herself. steve and robin whispering on the little table where the dnd board once was. nancy was upstairs helping karen make food. lucas and dustin just sat staring at max intently. and piper was left alone, something that seemed to be happening quite often lately. but it gave her time to find, to ponder. this basement had similar vibes to her own house, a string of lights hung upon the walls. it reminded her a little too much of tom's room. it had been many years since she had been in his room. he had posters and pictures hung on the walls, they would have fallen down by now surely. she remembered the dark green walls, he loved the colour green. she can't remember much more, minus he had a bed that was never done and a sofa where his books always were. he loved books. obsessed. he was always reading, looking for something. he had post it notes and markers everywhere. when she was younger she could never quite understand what he was doing, though he was just doing silly little doodles. now she wasn't so sure. the chair beside her dibbled, she turned to find robin sinking in the empty spot beside her.

"are you okay?" the bandmember questioned resting her hand on the girl's knee. this action followed by a slow nod. robin gave a small smile as she wrapped her arms around piper, pulling the girl into a hug. and she had to use all her willpower not to break down and cry into her arms. instead she noticed the soft look on dustin's face, his eyes glued to the ginger girl curled in the corner. maybe dustin had a think for max? no she knew dustin had a thing for max. the poodle like dog had told her once before it was a late night. piper and steve on a movie date and obviously dustin was found in the backseat when she got in. she remembered. steve had left the two in the car as he ran in for food. and they talked. about practically everything. and he mentioned something about liking max. she felt bad for the poor boy. he seemed to really like max but max only looked at dustin. the situation all felted similar now, sending a look to steve and nancy who awkwardly sat near each other. he had in the chair legs dangling over the side where she sat at the able. head in hands, worried about mike. and she drifted of to sleep. robins head laid on her shoulder, pipers knee tucked under the girl and soon to go dead. but none of it matter as she slept.