39| Excitement

I cracked my knuckles as I walked down the hall

I cracked my knuckles as I walked down the hall. The morning sun hit my eyes and I instantly felt a rattling in my stomach. Finally, I was out of that shithole prison. I was supposed to be released tomorrow morning, but I could not take another second in there. Once I heard I had a release date, I decided to pay off a bunch of guards to sneak me out early.

"Stay out of trouble man." Malcolm, the guard I befriended said to me as he patted my back.

He is a tall black man with dark skin and shoulder-length braids. He has a charismatic personality. If it were not for him I would have gone crazy in there.

"I will," I told him as I extended my hand to shake his hand. "Also, I have some money deposited into your account last night," I stated with a smile.

Malcolm shook his head. "I can't take that man." "No, you have children to take care of." I said seriously.

A couple of months ago, Malcolm's wife died in a car accident. He was pretty devastated about it. I couldn't even put myself in his shoes. Anything happening to Cypress scares the absolute shit out of me.

"Thanks, man." He said as he nodded his head in gratitude.

I have been in solitary confinement for 377 days. The only human contact I've had is Malcolm and a few other guards. I ended up making friends with some of them, but Malcolm is genuine. I hope one day we would meet again. He looked out for me. There were numerous, and I mean numerous attempts at taking my life.

I was stabbed my first night in my cell. The pipsqueak didn't even hit any arteries. For my safety, and everyone else's safety, I had to be put in solitary confinement. I couldn't have any visitors. I've been cut off from everyone. That prosecutor bitch made it so I was unable to even reach my lawyer which I think is fucking illegal.

I thought I had a lot of enemies. That cannot compare to the number of enemies my father made during the time she roamed the earth. Once everyone heard the infamous bastard Niko Dominik's son was here everyone jumped at the opportunity to kill me. He's killed countless people, and all of his friends and family members wanted revenge.

His horrid legacy is going to follow me around for the rest of my life. I know I told Cypress that I was going to leave the Mafia for her but she may have been right to make me really think about it. I think I would have eventually one day reverted to my old ways if I never got to see the effects and consequences of the criminal activity I used to engage in.

Niko was a monster. No woman or child was ever spared at his hands. He had no moral ground and I hate that I am attached to a man like him.

Malcolm handed me a bag of my things and quickly walked back inside the prison before he got caught. I took out my phone that's been in police custody for an entire year and dialed Xander's number. He didn't answer it at first. So I had to call him again.

"Whoever this is, it is not funny!" He shouted into the phone.

"Xander shut the fuck up! It's me you idiot!" I shouted into my phone. "BROTHER!" He began to sob like a baby through the phone. "It's really you. You are out?" He cried.