« 01 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART ONE of THREE —
WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

— PART ONE  of  THREE —WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

HE PASSED AWAY RIGHT BEFORE IT HAPPENED. Brain cancer.

My mother would say it was an awful disease that took my father's life too soon. Silas and I would say it was karma. Of course, the moment we said that to anyone, my mother would be high on our tails to apologize to whomever my brother and I were speaking too.

Although, I was grateful. Grateful that he was dead and grateful that my poor mother would never have to deal with his antics again.

Until it happened.

Silas and I were walking back through the Atlanta Airport. He wouldn't leave for another week to go back to base.

My mother's flight just took off. Silas was making some cruel joke that I couldn't be bothered to listen too.

"And then, the duck walked into the bar!" Silas laughed.

"I always wondered why you gave up on becoming a comedian. I think I know now." I told him. My brother just rolled his eyes, claiming I was jealous.

It was late in the evening. Around 8PM.

That's when she noticed us. Could I even call her a she?

Silas was the one who pointed it out. The sickly figure that walked towards us. Her eyes were white, with yellow and brown specks.

She walked slow and dragged her foot. Not only that, but her arm had a chunk of skin missing. Almost as if someone had bitten her.

But to me, I would have sounded crazy if I said that out loud.

When she spotted us, the figure began to move faster. "Ma'am? Are you hurt?" Silas asked her.

That was Silas. The kind, compassionate, caring one. That's why he joined the Military. Marines, specifically. He was on leave for our father's funeral, but that didn't stop him from being the same Silas that had so much love for his country, he decided to join his buddies on the front line.

I definitely wasn't as compassionate as my brother. Probably not even as kind. I was an Atlanta Detective and kindness and compassion didn't really fit into my job description.

"Ma'am?" He spoke one more time.

The woman made a loud gurgling sound and lunged towards Silas.

"What the fuck!" He cried, shoving her away. "Run!" Silas said.

He didn't have to tell me twice. I began sprinting off down the airport hallway, Silas close on my tail.

We were still an entire flight of stairs away from the car port where my Honda was parked. I burst through the door and began running down the steps.