« 23 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART THREE of THREE —
REMEMBER ME HAPPY

– EMERSON CAME TO EARLY IN THE MORNING. She leaned up out of the seat and looked at who was driving.

It was Glenn. Maggie was sat in the passenger seat, crying. Why is she crying? Emerson asked herself. She didn't hesitate to place a hand on Maggie's shoulder, as if to comfort her.

"Hey, you." Glenn said, looking behind at her for a split second. "You're awake."

Maggie sniffled once more and smiled. "Finally. We thought you'd never wake up."

"Where are we going?" Emerson asked. Her head was pounding.

"The highway." Glenn answered. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, why?" Emerson retorted, scrunching her nose.

Glenn gulped and Maggie turned back toward the front. "You were covered in blood when we found you. We barely got out in time."

That's when she noticed her jeans. They were covered in blood. Her shirt was ripped open and her shoulder was bandaged up.

"In time for what?" Emerson asked. When neither of them answered, she asked once more.

"In time for what, Margaret?"

"The farm got overrun." Glenn said quietly. "Bigger herd than the highway back when we lost Sophia."

Seeing as Emerson only had one good hand, she started to grab at Lori's face and hair. It was no use. She had to think of something, and fast. She noticed a rock beside her, but it was out of reach.

"I-I. . ." She grumbled, "Pregnant. I'm-I'm preg-pregnant."

"Is the baby okay?" Emerson asked suddenly. She placed a hand to her head in attempt to relieve some of the pressure. "Rick? Carl? Did they get out?"

"Daddy said it looked like you were having a miscarriage. . ." Maggie began slowly. "Your blood pressure was spiked, that and whatever happened to your shoulder and neck, caused too much stress on you and the baby. I'm so sorry sweetheart."

"Sorry, Emmy. . ." Glenn said, giving her a sad look from the mirror. "As for Rick and Carl, we're hoping everyone went back to the highway."

"Am I gonna be okay?"

"Dad said you'll be just fine. He gave you a round of antibiotics after he stitched up your shoulder, which was through and through. . . How'd that happen anyway?"

Emerson gulped and leaned back. "She tried to kill me."

Maggie and Glenn didn't have to ask who Emerson was talking about. They already knew.

Eventually, Glenn found himself behind a motorcycle that Daryl was driving, with Carol on the back. After that, a blue pickup truck followed closely after.

When they reached the highway, Emerson asked, "Does Rick know about the baby?"

"Not as far as we know." Maggie answered.

Emerson slowly got out of the car as best as she could. Her body was weak, tired, and broken.

Carl immediately ran up to her, causing her balance to stumble some. He was crying, Emerson was crying, and even Rick was crying as he wrapped his arms around the two of them.

"I'm so glad you're okay. Where did you go?" Emerson asked immediately.

"To find Dad. . ." Carl answered sadly. Emerson looked up to meet Rick's gaze who shook his head. She didn't have to ask what he meant by that.

"Are you okay? What happened to you?" Rick asked her lightly.

Emerson looked down at Carl. "It was an accident. That's all."

"Is this all of us?" Carol asked.

"So far." Rick replied.

"Shane?" Glenn then asked. To which Rick shook his head.

"Andrea?" Emerson questioned. While her and Andrea weren't close, she was family. She would always be family.

"We saw her go down." T-Dog replied lowly.

"And Lori?" Carol turned to look at Emerson. "Is she–"

At this moment, Carl began to tear up once more. He grabbed a hold of his father and sobbed quietly.

"She-she. . ." Emerson stammered. Rick held a hand on her back, and began to speak up to admit their sin.

"She went down too." Maggie quickly answered. "She was in the middle of the herd before it all started. There was nothing we could do."

Emerson looked at Rick with a guilty expression, to which he returned.

"We've got a long road ahead. Let's scrounge up what we can and hit the road." Rick announced to which everyone agreed too.

Emerson walked off to find a change of clothes and Rick followed.

"Are you okay?" He asked her. "How's your shoulder?"

"Hurts like a bitch." She replied. "Are you okay?"

"I-I don't know. . ."

"I killed her, Rick. She didn't go down, I killed her." She said quietly.

Rick didn't say anything, but instead, wrapped her in an embrace.

"We both did things last night to protect our family. We did what we had to do to survive." Rick told her as she cried in his arms.

"That's not all." She finally said as she pulled away. "I-I lost the baby."

"W-What?" Rick asked, pushing himself further from Emerson. "You-You were pregnant? We were gonna have a baby?"

Emerson sobbed harder and buried her face in her hands. "I'm so sorry, Rick."

"We were gonna have a baby." He stated.

Emerson looked up to meet his gaze and nodded.

"I found out a couple days ago. I was gonna tell you last night, but then everything went to hell and I-God, Rick, I'm so sorry."

Rick Grimes didn't mumble a word, didn't make a sound, he didn't do anything. Instead, he backed away in disbelief.

━━━━━━━━

note:
what a shitty chapter 🙄

anyways, Rick is literally awful in this part. she needs you ricky boy and you're leaving !!!

mkay byeeee

vote or comment if you feel compelled to, but rn I'm telling you to vote and comment ❤️❤️❤️❤️