« 14 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART TWO of THREE —
THERE IS NO HOPE ANYWHERE

— "AND YOU DID WHAT?" Emerson asked Glenn.

"I put my arm against the house and told her she should be thinking about it." Glenn mumbled. "Was that wrong?"

"So wrong. A very wrong approach. Do you want me to talk to her?"

"No! Do not talk to her." Glenn said, grabbing another shirt and folding it.

Emerson just shrugged before grabbing a pair of jeans to fold. "Alright, whatever you want. Maybe write her a note. Go old school."

Glenn gave a low chuckle. "A note? Saying what?"

Emerson looked at him, with obvious eyes, "Do you want me to write it for you too?"

Glenn looked at her for a moment. Then finally realized what she meant. "Oh!"

"Take your clothes to your tent, Glenn."

"Thanks, Emmy. You should've been a therapist, not a detective." Glenn smiled, grabbing his pile of clothes.

After Glenn took off, Rick and Shane walked up to the camp.

"Find anything today, boys?" Emerson called to them.

Shane just rolled his eyes and Rick replied with a simple no.

"You know, you two sure are grouchy when you come back together." Emerson told Rick as he passed her.

Rick stopped in his track.

"Shane wants to call off the search." Rick spoke gruffly.

Emerson kept folding. "What do you think we should do?"

"If it was Carl, I'd want to keep looking." Rick answered. "So would you."

"That's right. You and Lori would want to know one way or another, right?" asked Emerson to which Rick nodded. "Look, as cops, we do lots of arguing and fighting. We have to fight for what we believe in. We have to make the hard decisions. It's what we were trained to do."

Rick scoffed. "Shane says I can't make the hard decisions for the good of the group. Maybe I'm holding on to a way of thinking that doesn't make sense anymore. He says it's basic survival. How much food, how much ammo, how much water. . . There isn't much room in that equation for being soft."

Emerson rolled her eyes. "When things first went down, I hated Shane. He kept inviting more people to come with us and I hated it. I thought, the less people, the better chance we have at surviving. Shane was soft. I was wrong to think that. I changed my way of thinking and I got soft. I've gotten softer because of your boy. Does that mean I can't make the hard decisions?"

Rick shook his head and let her continue, "This new life is all about hard decisions. If we lost our moral compass, like Shane seems to have done lately, we'll be lost. We'll be at each other's throats. That's not a world I want to live in. We are still human, and we are still people."