« 03 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART ONE  of  THREE —
WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

— PART ONE  of  THREE —WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

"SO YOU'RE BATMAN?" RICK GRIMES CHUCKLED.

"The one and only." Emerson told him. "Emerson Scott."

"Rick Grimes. Nice to meet you." He began. "I-uh. . . I can't thank you enough for what you did– and have done, for Carl."

Emerson shrugged. "He's a good kid. He keeps me on my toes, honestly."

"Carl told me you were a detective." Rick said, breaking the silence.

Emerson nods. "Special Victims. I worked with homicide for a short while before I found myself back to SVU. What about you, Lucky?"

Rick nodded in reply, laughing at the nickname. "Always dreamed of being a detective. Then my wife fell pregnant with Carl and didn't want to move to Atlanta."

"Sounds like a basket case to me." Emerson told him. "Oh. Sorry, I-. . . Carl just mentioned sometimes how she could be– Ya know what? I should really stop talking. I don't think before I say things and they just come out. I've got a bad case of mush mouth."

"That's alright." He chuckled. "She could be a basket case sometimes. Do you, uh, do you know what happened to her?"

Emerson shook her head. "Shane doesn't talk about it and I never asked Carl. When he wants to talk about it, he knows I'm here for him."

"I should get back to Carl." Rick responded and with that, the two parted ways.

Emerson was shocked to say the least. It had been three months since the apocalypse began and suddenly, a coma patient wakes up and just so happens to find his son?

He was lucky. Literally and figuratively.

Emerson didn't believe in fate. If fate was real, her mother would have left her father and found a good father and role model for Silas and her. Instead, she stayed with him and left her children to suffer at his hand.

Despite her messy past, Emerson was happy that Carl had his dad back.

━━━━━━━━

"She ran off." Carl answered.

Rick nodded. He asked his son about Lori Grimes, the boy's mother, but all he had to say was that she ran off. She ran off.

Maybe Lori really was a basket case.

Rick suddenly felt angry. He was in disbelief that Lori would leave their son like that. He had a million questions, but the only answer was a simple, three letter word.