« 20 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART TWO  of  THREE —
THERE IS NO HOPE ANYWHERE

– EMERSON ROLLED OFF OF RICK AND LAID BESIDE HIM. "How can it be that it gets better every time?" She let out a breathe.

Rick laughed loudly. A hearty laugh that made Emerson's heart swoon. He sighed loudly as he pulled his girl close to his chest.

They couldn't get enough of one another.

Even as they lay awake in the middle of the night, the rest of the group sound asleep, Rick and Emerson couldn't get enough.

"Hershel's letting us move into the house." Rick told her, brushing her bangs out of her eyes as she looked up towards him.

"Oh really? You mean, we'll finally have a bed to do this in and not some damn sleeping bag?"

"I sure hope so. My back is startin' to give out." Rick admitted, which caused Emerson to laugh.

"You mean you're gettin' old." She snickered.

Rick scoffed. "I'm gettin' old, am I?"

Rick made a move to get on top of the woman, causing her to smirk. "I think so."

He just shook his head and kissed her hard. "Let's see how old I am, shall we?"

As if on cue, Carl came stumbling inside their tent. Rick immediately pulled the blankets over Emerson's naked body, along with himself.

"Hey bud. I thought you were sleepin' with your mom tonight?" Rick asked his son.

Carl just shrugged. "Mom snores too loud and Shane made me turn off the light for my comics."

With that, the young boy just laid down in his sleeping bag after he turned his flashlight on.

"It's–" Rick began as he reached for his watch. "2 in the morning, son."

Carl looked at his dad. Rick raised an eyebrow at his son and Carl sighed. He turned off his light and turned over to go to sleep.

Emerson just smiled at the boy. "Night, Carl."

"Goodnight Emmy, goodnight Rick."

Rick laughed loudly once more and rolled his eyes. "Goodnight, kid."

Once Carl was fast asleep, Emerson quickly slipped her pajamas on, while grabbing Rick a pair of bottoms and a t-shirt too.

Emerson let out a breathe, "We so got caught, old man."

"We so did." Rick mocked.

━━━━━━━━

Emerson spit out her toothpaste just as Carl did. Except his landed in her hair, while her's landed on the green grass below them.

"Carl!" Emerson groaned, while Carl just laughed. "Aw man. Now I've got toothpaste in my hair."

"It makes your hair look better. If anything, I was trying to help you." Carl grinned.

"Oh yeah? Ya little stinker." Emerson laughed.

When Rick approached the two of them, he laughed at the blue toothpaste in Emerson's hair.

"Let me." He told her, taking a rag to wipe it.

"Hey, can we talk later?" Emerson asked Rick. He looked at her skeptically.

"Everything alright?"

Emerson grinned. "Everything is perfect. Talk tonight?"

"I'm there."

"Can I come too?" Carl asked, chiming into their conversation.

Emerson looked at the boy with a hand on her chin, as if to think long and hard about her decision. "I don't know. Are you gonna stop spitting in my hair?"

"I can take it under advisement." Carl replied.

The three of them enjoyed this moment together. They didn't have very many of them.

From afar, Lori watched the three of them. She had done lots of watching over the last few weeks. She told herself that once Emerson was out of the picture, Shane and Lori would run away with Carl together.

To be one happy family.

Rick would get over it. Lori had convinced herself of this. And now, as they were packing up to move into the house, Lori knew she had to act now or never.

"It's time." She told Shane, who stood beside her with an apple in his mouth.

"Yeah?" He asked, swallowing the savory fruit. "Let's do it, doll."

━━━━━━━━

NOTE:
shorter chapters because we are leading up to something B I G.