« 04 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART ONE of THREE —
WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

RICK WAS DISAPPOINTED WHEN EMERSON SAID SHE WOULDN'T BE GOING TO ATLANTA

RICK WAS DISAPPOINTED WHEN EMERSON SAID SHE WOULDN'T BE GOING TO ATLANTA. But he saw the look in her eyes. He was glad that Carl had someone to look up to and someone that cared about him that much.

However, he was looking forward to getting to know Emerson. Rick wanted to know the woman his son thought so highly of.

So when Carl stood by Emerson, he told her that he wanted her to go.

"You don't want me to stay?" Emerson asked him.

Carl smiled, "I do, but Silas and Shane are gonna teach me how to catch frogs! You said frogs were icky anyway."

She laughed. "I did say that. Are you sure you're gonna be okay?"

Carl nodded firmly and gave Emerson a hug. After, he moved to hug his father and whispered, "I know you'll be safe. Batman's with you."

Rick smiled at his comment.

When the goodbyes were said, Emerson asked to drive, which Rick had no objections too.

Now that they were on the road, the man regretted ever agreeing to let her drive.

Rick then asked, "Could you drive any faster?" Emerson glanced at the man in the passenger seat.

"You want me to drive faster?" She asked, pressing her foot on the peddle.

"No! I was joking!" He shouted.

Daryl then yelled, "Slow down!"

Emerson just laughed and pressed her foot on the brake. "Bunch of babies."

"Babies who prefer to be alive." Glenn told her.

T-Dog then chimed in, "Who said she could drive? We all know Emerson can't drive."

Rick sunk in his seat.

Emerson just laughed as she kept driving.

"I'm not a bad driver." She defended. "I just like to live life on the edge. Better to die by car crash than a Walker, right?"

"She's fucking crazy, if you ask me." Daryl mumbled.

Rick looked over at Emerson, taking in her features. Her short hair was pulled into a low bun and her green eyes seemed brighter than the prior day. Rick almost wondered why. He didn't know someone could be so joyous about driving a moving truck into the city.

Little did Rick Grimes know, that Emerson had been awaiting this day to come. Where she would finally leave the campgrounds.

She had grown to love Carl, but she also had a hard time staying in one place. It's what made her a great detective, but sometimes a reckless one.