« 16 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART TWO  of  THREE —
THERE IS NO HOPE ANYWHERE

– THAT SAME DAY, THE GROUP SAT AROUND ON THE PORCH, awaiting the arrival of Hershel Greene and Rick Grimes.

"You've got to be kidding me. I don't know how you win every time!" Carl exclaimed.

Carol just chuckled and set her final Uno card down. "You-You're like a wizard." Carl told her.

Emerson looked up from her book to see that Carol had laid down a draw four wild card.

"That's a hard play to beat, kid." Nathan told Carl. "Deal me in this time."

Nathan had been nothing but an asset to the group. He helped out where he could and when he could. Mostly, it was looking for Sophia with Silas or Daryl. Sometimes it was taking watch for Dale. Either way, Nathan had earned his place with the group.

As for him and Silas, everyone had their speculation that the two of them were together, but none of them ever mentioned it.

It wasn't their place, nor their right.

And as Shane began walking up to the rest of the group with a bag of guns, it was clear that what was about to happen, wasn't their place or right either.

"What's all this?" Daryl asked Shane.

"You with me, man?" Shane retorted. Daryl just nodded and took the gun from him. "It's time to grow up."

"I thought we couldn't carry?" T-Dog asked Shane as he began handing out guns.

"We know this place ain't safe now. . ." Shane said walking over to Glenn, "What about you? You gonna protect what's yours?"

Glenn took the gun. Then he turned to Emerson. She refused the gun, but Nathan and Silas took theirs.

"Can you stop?" Maggie asked, anger in her tone. "You do this, you hand out these guns, and my dad will make you leave tonight."

"We're not gonna leave. Hershel's just gonna have to understand."

"No, I don't think he will. I think we're gonna get our asses kicked off this damn farm." Emerson commented. "This is not our land. We can't just go guns 'ablazing all over the place."

"We can, and we will. Now take the damn gun, Scott." Shane angrily spoke. When she didn't, he turned to Carl.

"You take this gun and you protect your mom with it, alright? You know how to use it. Go on, take it."

"Rick said no guns. That means, no guns. This is not your decision to make, Shane." Emerson said, standing in front of Carl. Lori stood with her, looking to Emerson to say she agreed.

Before Shane could reply, T-Dog saw Rick and Hershel before the rest of them did.

"Oh shit."

And in the field, by the barn, stood Hershel, Jimmy, and Rick with two Walkers held by poles.

"Give me that damn gun before Rick gets himself killed." Emerson mumbled.