« 22 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART TWO  of  THREE —
THERE IS NO HOPE ANYWHERE

DARKNESS FELL UPON THE GREENE FARMHOUSE. Not only had the sun gone down, but the darkness of others had consumed the air.

Emerson and Maggie were looking for Carl. As we're Lori and Carol.

Beth was setting up dinner with Patricia, while the rest of them took watch or set up for the long night ahead of them.

"Alright," Emerson began, checking the clip on her gun, "I'm goin' out there."

"You can't." Maggie told her. Hershel backed up his daughter, but Emerson just shook her head.

"That's my son out there and I'll be damned if I'm gonna leave him out there to die." She argued.

Lori then stepped up beside her, "I'm coming with you. He's our son."

Lori gave her a warm smile to which Emerson returned.

The two of them began to run through Hershel's land and into the woods.

"He couldn't have gone far." Emerson said, checking the tracks along the ground.

"Where'd you learn how to track?" Lori asked her.

"Silas taught me a long time ago." Emerson replied. "The first time he came home from Iraq, we went out into the woods and he taught me everything I needed to know."

"Sounds like a good man."

"Yeah, he was." Emerson replied. "Carl wasn't here. Let's head back that way."

Emerson stayed behind Lori, remembering the conversation her and Rick had.

"They're plotting something." Rick mumbled as he leaned against his arm to face Emerson.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Emerson yawned. "Why is someone always plotting something?"

"Shane and Lori. They're gonna kill us, Emerson."

Emerson sat up. "What are you on about, Rick?"

"I-I don't know how I know, but I just do, alright? I need you to trust me."

"You know I always have. I've got your back, Rick. But I need you to tell me why you think that."

"Something Dale said. He told me to watch my back. That Shane had become dangerous. More than we realize."

Emerson gulped. Dale and her had the same conversation. Now Dale was dead.

"You promise me to always be on guard." Rick demanded.

Emerson didn't speak, but she nodded.

"You better do the same, Sheriff."

"You're a coward." Emerson spat. "You couldn't even hurt a fucking fly."

Lori had her corned in the middle of the tree's. Emerson had let it happen. She turned her back for a second and that's all Lori needed.

"Who do you think came up with this? Shane? All by himself?" Lori pressed the gun to her head. "You're dumber than you look. I came up with all of this! This was all my idea!"

"Is that what Shane's doing right now? Killing the father of your child so you and him can live happily every after? You want Carl to call Shane daddy–"

"No! Shane was only ever a pawn. Rick will kill Shane, I know it. He won't leave his son, but he'll be forced to get over you. The woman who couldn't save herself to stay with him. This. Will. Break. Him. And I'll be there to pick up the pieces."

Emerson gulped. "Rick will never want you."

"Oh, is that right? Do you know what I've done for him? I slept with his best friend for crying out loud! Rick gets bored. He got bored with me, and he'll get bored with you."

"You're pathetic."

Lori pulled the trigger in that moment.

Luckily for Emerson, she was a bad shot.

Emerson fell to the ground as blood seeped out from her shoulder. "Oh god." She groaned.

Lori ran to her and straddled Emerson's waist. Her hands went to wrap around her neck. Seeing as Emerson only had one good hand, she started to grab at Lori's face and hair. It was no use. She had to think of something, and fast. She noticed a rock beside her, but it was out of reach.

"I-I. . ." She grumbled, "Pregnant. I'm-I'm preg-pregnant."

Lori's grip loosened, "What?"

On cue, Emerson grabbed the rock and smashed it into Lori's skull.

Emerson began coughing loudly. Lori was still conscious as Emerson straddled her. Carl's mother pulled Emerson's hair, causing her to cry out. Emerson threw a punch at her jaw.

"You wanna know the difference between you and me?" Emerson spat as she grabbed her knife from her side, "Rick and Carl, they'll never have to worry about me leaving them. I would never leave them, and certainly not for some bad dick."

With that, Lori threw one more punch at Emerson causing the weaker woman to topple over. Suddenly, Emerson had a knife to her throat. She tried with everything she had left in her to reverse the weapon. She grabbed the blade and cried out in pain.

Not just from her shoulder or hand, but the pain was now coming from her torso.

Lori suddenly became distracted once more as she heard footsteps approach. Emerson took her opportunity and plowed the knife into Lori's chest.

Lori fell on top of her, and Emerson sobbed as she pulled herself out from under Lori.

When she finally caught her balance, she noticed how close she was to the farm. A few hundred feet, and she would finally be home.

As she began walking towards the farmhouse, Emerson suddenly hunched over in pain.

She looked down at her light wash jeans and saw that her thighs were covered in blood. She cried out, hoping that she was close enough for someone, anyone, to hear her.

I'm gonna die out here, she thought.

"It's Emerson! She's back!"

"Is the barn on fire?"

"Emerson? Why isn't she moving?"

From the blood loss and overwhelming pain, Emerson succumbed to the darkness and let her eyelids shut.

━━━━━━━━
END OF PART TWO