« 06 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART ONE of THREE —
WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

— PART ONE  of  THREE —WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING

THEY DECIDED TO LEAVE THE QUARRY FOR GOOD. The previous night, Rick and Shane had hashed it out with everyone's input. They announced that the group would leave in the morning, those who wanted to come would and those that didn't, were welcome to leave.

Emerson kept watch that night. At some point, Rick found her sitting alone by embers in the fire pit.

"You need sleep." He told her.

Emerson laughed, "I'll sleep when I'm dead. I'd rather be up and awake to keep everyone safe."

"Well, then I'll join you." It was quiet for a moment. "So why'd you wanna be a cop?"

Emerson chuckled lowly, "It's ironic, actually." She began. "Uh, well, my dad beat on my mom as a kid. I wanted to put bastards like him away for a living. What about you?"

"Wanted to help people, I guess. Shane and I, ever since high school, we've always lived off of adrenaline. Probably more Shane than myself." Rick laughed.

Emerson laughed with him, "Where you a goody two shoes in high school? Good grades and everything? Maybe even captain of the cheer squad!"

Rick just scowled at the woman with a smile on his face, "Captain of the football team and Valedictorian actually."

"Gee, colleges musta loved you."

"Never had the chance to go." Rick admitted. "Right after we graduated, Lori got pregnant."

Emerson went quiet, "College is over rated anyway. Silas never went, but I went to Dartmouth."

"So I wasn't the only goody two shoes." Rick smiled, leaning over to look at Emerson.

Emerson just met his gaze, staring into his blue eyes. "Far from it, Lucky. I had a black and green pixie cut in high school."

"What I wouldn't give to see that." He cringed. "Ya look better with the natural look anyway." He told her.

"Did you just compliment me, Lucky? After I slept with your best friend and admitted it to you?"

Rick just shrugged. "Get some sleep. I'll take watch until Dale wakes up."

Emerson was hesitant, but knew that her body needed rest. She told Rick that she'd see him in the morning and then went off into her tent.