three

SUMMER NIGHTS
CHAPTER THREE / EPISODE THREE
luna x belly

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— It's July third, meaning that the second Luna wakes up, everyone will wish her a happy birthday. Luna knows this because that's what happens every year, but today, she keeps her eyes closed and pretends to be asleep even when Belly opens the door to her room.

The doors now open, giving Laurel the chance to step into the white bedroom lined with fairly lights and bookshelves. The older woman's always liked the way Lunas decorated her beach house room.

"Lonni, honey?" Laurel sits on the edge of the bed, her hand placed on Lunas ankle that's sticking out from the blankets. The older woman knows that Luna is awake, and only pretending to be asleep. "I know you're up."

"Morning, Luar." Luna grumbled, the side of her head pushed into her pillow. Her eyes opened and she shifted so she could look at Laurel.

"Breakfast is ready. Why don't we go down, huh? Everyone's waiting." Laurel held her hand out, pulling Luna out of the comfort and warmth of her end.

The two didn't even get to leave the door before Jeremiah came barreling down the hallway, throwing himself at Luna. "Happy birthday!"

Luna tumbled backwards but managed to stay on her feet. Jeremiah was always so excited to celebrate his sisters birthday — he'd always managed to surprise her throughout the day.

"Thanks Jer." Luna hugged her brother back, walking with him down the stairs and to the living room.

Everyone jumped out saying happy birthday. Luna got her hugs, she got her pancakes and fruits, her presents, and then they'd all go out to the beach. It's how it's been every year, only this year it was different.

Susannah made waffles. Jeremiah made her a fruit smoothie and topped it with a cherry. Luna loves smoothies and waffles, but she's always had pancakes and cut up fruit.

Conrad had already left the house, leaving a note saying he'd be back in time for the birthday dinner. Also having mentioned that he was working, teaching someone how to tie different kinds of knots.

Luna shrugged it off and decided that she wanted to play volleyball and try to stand up board again this year. She's been working on actually staying standing when she stand up boards, but more often than not she falls into the water or ends up just sitting.

She gets her presents at dinner that night. A book for Laurel, signed of course and a special edition. Her mom gives her a pearl necklace that she had been given on her seventeenth birthday. Steven gives her a hoodie, with the words Princeton on it. Jeremiah gives her an anklet and a charm for her charm bracelet. Conrad gives her a new volleyball, since her other one is wearing out. Lastly, Belly gives her a simple photo album that she's scrapbooked and added pictures of themselves too, also having written things it.

That night, Belly and Luna sneak out again, both managing to be quiet. They spend an hour on the beach, kicking the sand beneath their feet. Then they dance because that's what Luna really wanted.

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— The next morning Belly wakes up and it's her birthday. She gets dressed in an outfit that Luna had boughten for her when she arrived in Cousins. It's white with orange, green and pink flowers everywhere. A bracelet on her wrist match, and the earrings she chose seem to be the cheery on top.

She bounces down the stairs because she's more than ready to get a head start with her day. She gets hugs and happy birthday wishes from everyone when they see her. 

There's balloons — new ones that aren't from Lunas birthday bash. There's decorations and a fresh smell of pancakes that float through the air.

It's perfect. It's like how it's been every year. There's micky mouse pancakes that Belly normal eats right up, but she's not hungry today, telling everyone that she's not hungry.

Susannah tells Belly they can open presents. So that's why they do. Laurel and Susannah sit together on a couch, Conrad on a lounge chair, Steven on a lounge chair, Jeremiah on the floor beside Luna.

Belly gets a book from her mom. It's a first edition that she got from a rare book dealer. Belly flips to the bookmarked page, reading out the poem that was written. "For whatever we lose... like a you or a me. It's always ourselves we find in the sea."

Belly got a necklace from Susannah. One that's the exact same as the one Luna had gotten. It's pretty, and almost looks better on Belly than it does on Luna.

Jeremiah gives her a good luck charm , hoping that it'll help her pass her driving test whenever she takes it. It's golden, something that shines in the light at it dangles from Bellys wrist.

Steven gives her a shirt with orange words: Princeton. He claims it's because he doesn't want Belly stealing his, but he needed to get her something and that was the most reasonable thing that she'd wear.

Luna gives Belly a small box. It's got a ring inside. It's not cheap, and it won't turn Bellys finger green. There's a small envelope inside the box too. There's a gift card for an ice cream place near by.

Conrad doesn't give Belly her gift. He claims he forgot, but Luna knows it's a lie because she helped him pick it out. She won't say anything though, and she'll probably just let Conrad give Belly the gift on his own time.

Luna is the first to get a hug from Belly when they all stand up and wish her a happy birthday once again.

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— Luna puts on a light purple top, with white jean shirts. She had her flower crown on that she got at dinner earlier, and she's just finishing applying some of her lip gloss.

Half an hour later the group show up to a party hosted by Nicol, a girl apart of Belly and Lunas debutante ball. She's nice and Luna always smiles at her.

They end up blowing out candles that were birthday cakes for both Luna and Belly. They do karaoke, and drink a glass of something with alcohol. By the end of the night, Belly asks Jeremiah to drive her home because she had walked in on her best friend from home trying to hook up with Steven.

Luna was dancing when she saw Jeremiah and Belly leaving. She didn't chase after Belly then.