ten

LOVE SICK
CHAPTER TEN / EPISODE THREE
luna x belly

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— When Luna was to go into her first year of school, her mother took one look at her and decided that she wasn't ready to let her baby girl go yet. Susannah kept Luna home for an extra year, spending her time with her for as long as she could. When Luna got older and realized that she was a year older than everyone else, she asked her mom, in which she got a reply that fit Susannah so well. "I just couldn't let my baby girl go." Now Luna is turning eighteen this summer and she's going into her senior year of high school.

She wonders where she would be if she hadn't been kept back a year. Would she have met Izzy and Mary, two people who are a huge part of her life? Would she have been away at collage when her mother died? Would she have been able to watch her big brothers grow into wonderful people? Would things have been different with Belly? The thoughts cross her mind rapidly ever since her mother had died, it's the only thing that floats around in her blond haired head.

"Stuck in your thoughts?" Belly hesitantly asks as she sits on the edge of the pool, her feet dipping into the water where Luna was swinging around.

Luna stops swimming, stand up and letting the surface of the water still around her shoulders. She nods her head because why would she lie? Belly knows that Luna like the back of her hand. "Yeah, I am."

Belly kicked her feet back and forth, hands resting against her thighs. Did she want to ask what was wrong? Yes, she did. "Wanna talk about it?"

"I wonder what it would have been like if my mom never kept me back a year. Like if things would have been different; if me and you would have been different or if things between me and my brothers would have been." Luna spoke, it wasn't everything that was on her mind. But at the moment it was what she wanted to share.

"Maybe nothing would have been different. Maybe everything that has happened was always destined to happen, Lolli." Of course Belly doesn't mean that Susannahs death was destined to happen, because no one with a heart like hers should have died with so much else ahead of her. "Maybe your destiny was to be the child who stayed home with your mom, because the world knew that you needed the extra time with her."

Luna leaned back, her hair floating along the surface. She couldn't stand to look at Belly, who would see her tears that coated her face. "Maybe, Bells, maybe."

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— "Maybe, Bells, maybe." Luna spoke as she wiped her tears frantically. They were standing outside the church where Susannahs funeral would be held. Belly had just hugged her, holding her and telling her that everyone would be okay.

"I promise ..." Belly would always try and keep her promise, but the woman who was like a mother to herself, was dead. She would be there for Luna and the Fisher siblings for the rest of her life, or she would try.

"Let's go in, I'm ready." Luna wasn't ready; today was the day she had to accept that her mother was really dead. She was gone but would live though pictures and memories that everyone held close to their hearts.

In Luna Fishers mind, today was the her mother died.

The church was decorated with blue and white summertime flowers that Susannah grew in her garden every year. There was a picture of the blond haired smiling woman at the front of the building. Someone was handing out little pamphlets that had her mothers birthday and death date across it.

Luna had helped her father and brothers plan the funeral — or what was left of it to plan. Susannah had known that she was going to die. She never fought the truth, or denied it. It was always something that was going to happen, whether it happened because of the cancer or because of old age. Knowing what was going to happen, Susannah planned the funeral to every last detail.

The only thing that wasn't planned; the picture and the flowers. She stated that she wanted her children to pick out what flowers would be laid up on her casket. She wanted her children to pick a picture that was their favourite of her, not the one she thought was the best. She insisted that her children knew her the best.

Luna sat at the front of the church with her two brothers and father. She clutches onto Jeremiah as the pastor spoke kind words about a woman he didn't know, tears streamed down both their cheeks.

Behind her sat Belly, Steven, their father and Laurel. She could hear the sniffles from the ones who sat around her, but Laurel seemed to be the most teary eyed as she attempted to keep it together.

The funeral ended with Conrad singing a song that Susannah had always asked for. He cried as he sung, the pain he felt was overwhelming. But it was what his mother wanted.

Conrad sniffled, "Excuse me."

*ੈ ‧₊˚ ————— "Excuse me." Someone spoke as they wiggled their way past Luna who stood in the kitchen. She was watching people come and go, taking the food that the caterers had brung.

"Oh, sorry." Luna spoke quietly. It seemed as if she was frozen in her own world, where she just watched everyone else go on.

Belly walked into the kitchen, Steven following behind her. The two grabbed a plate, filling it with snacks and funeral food that they would deliver to the two grieving sons upstairs.

Belly filled the plate — Luna could tell it was for Jeremiah. Even when things were going wrong in the world, he always said that nothing could go wrong with food.

Steven filled Conrad's plate up with crackers and fruits, things he knew the older boy would eat at a time like this. Conrad on the other hand didn't like to eat when he was upset, claiming it made him feel worse than he already did.

By time the two siblings had left the room, Luna had been approached my Laurel, her non blood aunt. "Hi, Lolli. How are you holding up?"

Luna looked up at the older woman, and before she even realized what she was doing, she had wrapped her arms around her middle and hugged Laurel. "I miss her."

"I know." The dark haired woman rubbed the teenagers back soothingly, providing some kind of comfort. "I know, Lolli."

The two stayed in the embrace until a woman walked up to them, her eyes cast downwards. "Laurel, hi." It was the Fisher fathers sister. Making it Susannahs sister in law.

"Hi, Grace." Laurel stepped away from Luna, silently asking if it was okay that she stepped away from a few minutes.

Luna nodded, deciding that she would go find her siblings. "Bye Laurel, bye aunt Grace."

Luna made her way up the stairs, and to where she assumed her brother would be. Their mothers bedroom. When she opened the door, Jeremiah leaned in to kiss Belly.

( Like I said before, Jeremiah kissed Belly the day her mother died. )

"What are you doing?" Luna asked, taking a step into the room. Jeremiah jumped back, guilt written all over his face. He had some feelings for Belly, but he never meant to act on them knowing that his sister practically loved the Conklin girl. "Jer? Bells?"

Belly jumped up off the bed, rushing towards Luna with even more tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry Lolli, I - I didn't know what I was thinking."

Luna didn't have a single word to say. So she didn't say anything, she just stood there, waiting for Belly or Jeremiah to do something.

"Luna, I — I'm sorry." Jeremiah walked towards his sister, guilty tears streaming down his cheeks. He was truly sorry for what had happened.

"We're done, okay?" Luna breathed out as she looked towards Belly. Her heart ached and she had no fight left in her to fight for the relationship the two had.