Chapter 22

The day had come to an end when George and Clay packed their bags and got in the car. It had been a calming afternoon for the two men who decided to spend their last hour of the getaway cuddling and sharing childhood stories.

Clay behind the wheel backs out of the driveway starting their journey. Tubbo had taken the offer of driving back with Phil and Tommy leaving George and Clay to themselves.

''Juliet" by Cavetown settles into background music they fall into small talk, Clay himself getting deep into the topic of youtube and streaming while George sits contently beside him with open ears as the blond rambles.

"...Anyways that's really how I got started with streaming which was the best decision" Clay concludes peering over to George with a small grin. The brunette has his left elbow resting on the middle console, his head resting in his hand, full attention on Clay.

"That's really cool Clay!" he says with a genuine smile, "You are quite the successful man."

Clay laughs with a nod of his head while a burning sensation flushes his cheeks "Sorry to ramble about it, it's just a huge passion of mine!"

"No I enjoyed listening to you talk about your work, you seem very happy" George's  words cause a flutter in Clay's heart, it was something he never received from his ex. She always hated the idea of making Minecraft a career and made sure to voice her dislike whenever she had a chance.

The blond smiled, dimples creasing his freckled cheeks "Thank you, It does make me really happy" He says sweetly.

About an hour into the drive Clay and George decide to take a pit stop, the brunette himself needing to release his full bladder and purchase a few snacks. "Do you want anything?" George asks as he steps out of the car.

Clay turned his eyes, catching George's pale skin shimmering under the moonlight, he smiled, "Just water if you don't mind."

George nods and in a swift second he turns around and adventures to the small gas station while Clay fills the tank of his car.

Back on the road, it was a sickening feeling that rose in his stomach that had Clay on edge. He couldn't help but feel an eerie fog slowly start to consume his mind as things have been going all too well.

A phone rings making him jump, the car jerks in a quick motion Clay grips the starting wheel to keep them on the road. "George" He whispers into the night "Your phone is ringing."

The brunette slowly stirs from his slumber to silence the obnoxious device he answers just as a cold shiver strikes them both.

"Hello" His British accent seeped into the car. George's words are slow and his eyes dart from the outside to Clay in a panicked and regretful manner "Thank you so much" His tone changes to one of delight "I'll give you the rest of the details later"..." Okay thank you bye" He hangs up dropping his phone down onto his lap, face pale as a ghost.

"Who was it?" The words shoot from the blond's lips a strike of lightning flashing into the night sky. He turns on his wipers to clear the sudden drops of rain. A storm was upon the dark cast of Florida.

The question stunned George. He nervously cracks his knuckles "Nothing important" He mutters "I'm so exhausted, how much longer do we have?" A change in the subject had thrown Clay off guard, but to his demise, the blond ignored the nervous tics and swept his questioning thoughts under the rug.

"About 20 minutes to your place" He answers, with one hand on the wheel and another gently being placed on George's thigh the continue the drive in a dark silence, words of regret and thoughts of worry floating around them both.

George's house came into view as they pulled into the driveway. Clay became nervous as he slowly ran out of time to prepare for his plan of confession. They step out and carry the bags up to the porch both weighted down by the drops of rain and exhaustion.

Clay steps forward his hands reaching out to take a hold of Georges "Hey George'' He takes a deep breath in and out "This weekend was amazing and I don't think I have ever felt this alive. You make me so happy" Deep breath in, deep breath out "and I can see that you feel the same and so George..." A loud rumble of thunder stuns their ears while lightning flashes from above "I want to be with you, be your boyfriend... would you want something more with me?"

"Clay.." His face drops tears filling his brown eyes "I..." Clay's lungs burn, cold wind blowing through his hair. "I can't" George's words break the crisp air he drops his head in shame, his face hidden behind his hands releasing their once interlocked fingers.

Clay took a step back fumbling from the shock his body had been hit with "What do you mean?" his voice shook while a new substance of tears mixed with the cold drops of rain.

"I can't because.." The clouds now pour down on them heavy drops of water smacking against the ground and the sky rumbles darkly. "Because I have to go back to England" George's knees buckled and Clay wondered how the man before him was still standing.

"ENGLAND!?" He shouts in a mist of anger and confusion his voice was almost silenced by the loud weather though the questioning word is carried on to George as he nods.

"I got a call when we were driving. They offered me my dream teaching job.....but it's back in London." He explains, "and I'm going to take it."

Clay stands outside soaking wet listening to the man he loves tell him that a distance made by thousands of miles has shattered their chance of something more.

"I'm so sorry Clay you have no idea how much this hurts telling you" George slowly backs up to his front door throwing his bag over his shoulder "I love you more than you will ever know, but the distance will be too much and I can't do that to me or you."

It was logical George thought. Why start something that would only be destroyed by the distance he couldn't hurt himself nor Clay. It was selfish and selfless at the same time and it broke every being he had left.

Light from his house shines on the porch as he opens the door "I'm so sorry." The last of George's words before he disappears into the house.

Clay's legs felt weak shock and pain hit him in the middle of the wet yard, rain pouring down hard, a hole in his chest where his heart was ripped out broken by George's words.

He cried, an agonizing rumble of a broken sob.

Clay opens his car door, drops himself into the seat and leaves. He drives away from the person who taught him how to love and who also took it away.