Chapter 24

After hours of tears and endless thoughts, Clay had eventually fallen asleep allowing his mind to rest until the sun awoke him the next morning. He yawns, wiping away his dried tear stained cheeks and stuffy nose.

With a pounding head, Clay stood his legs trembling from lack of use as he slowly entered the bathroom. The reflection staring back at him was unrecognizable. Clay stands motionless in front of the mirror scared of the person he had become. He felt sick to his stomach. He looked heartbroken the best way to describe his depressed state.

Everything had brought a dark shadow casting over his head- Life drained from his once bright jade eyes. Clay sighs mumbling words of disgust and disappointment as he steps away from the mirror.

Deciding to stop wallowing in his despair Clay strips from his clothes and steps into the shower. The soothing sensation melts his iced mussels; he scrubs away the sweat and dirt from laying under thick covers all day.

Refreshed, shedding the sadness away. It was still there, but now settling into something more manageable. Changing into some clean clothes Clay stands in the middle of his messy room observing the disaster his place had become.

Cleaning was a hard task for him. It was difficult for one to focus as distractions for the blond came easy, but determined to tackle the mess Clay shakes off any doubts and starts to purge through his house. He fixates on the mess until every piece of garbage is thrown away and dishes are back in their rightful place.

Clay drops onto the couch, working up the strength to lift his palm in such a manner as to wipe away the sweat beads that form up across his forehead. He gazes at his apartment as it gleams beneath the lighting. He felt proud, and grins.

The definition of an idea is thought to be a possible course of action and that is exactly what Clay had stumbled upon. His once relaxed state turns to one of shock and excitement; he could feel the tremble in his fingers start to begin a rush of blood beating to his brain.

It had been something he had thought of before- it was just a depressing inquiry of impulse and desperation, but now with a clear skyed mind he finds logic behind his idea and a possibility to find a course of action to solve a certain problem.

Finding his phone Clay searches through his contacts for a particular someone and quickly types a message he hits send without a second thought and now on the edge of his seat leg bouncing at a rapid pace, he waits.

DING, his phone buzzes and his heart starts to pound. After a few minutes of waiting he receives a reply.

Fine, call me then.

He does so, the phone rings once, twice and finally on the third ring it goes through
"What do you need Clay?" Maria answers jumping right to the point as she has always done.

Exhaling Clay finds a logical way to explain his idea he speaks calmly, "I don't want this to become a mess or a fight involving going to court and I know this is a huge ask and something you would most likely will never agree on, but I want this and I think Tubbo would too."

"God Clay just got to the point I'm a busy woman!" She interrupts her voice sharp and patience wearing thin.

Clay knew everything about Maria, from every tone of voice she used to the differences between her sighs. Maybe it was trauma induced from their relationship or his keenness on details, but Clay knew at this moment that he might have a chance.

"Okay, I'll cut to the chase... I want full custody of Tubbo."

The call goes silent "What" she whispers it was fragile the softest Clay has ever heard her speak before. She doesn't continue and so Clay does.

"I know this is sudden and unexpected, but let me explain you have a new partner and kids...I know Tubbo is your son as well, but you hardly even see him in the first place. He clearly likes it better with me and if I have full custody you can go and live your life away from me no more strings keeping you attached." his leg bounces up and down, scared for her next words.

Maria stands as still as stone in her kitchen phone gripped tightly in her hand and pressed firmly against her ear. She breathes a sudden exhale and it shakes in an unsteady manner "You're not wrong" Maria starts "I love Tubbo so much and I want to do what's best for him and I think being with you is that."

Clay's lungs collapse as a large breath of air escapes past his lips in relief. "Thank you so much, Maria and this doesn't mean you will never see him there are calls and other things we can work out as well"

"Right" she agrees "I do have a question though Clay. Why are you asking this, what has suddenly changed?"

An idea, course of action to solve a problem; "Maria...I'm moving to England"