For the One I Love, I'll Burn

-Side Story-

-Part 3 of Mafia Wars-

**This chapter contains extreme violence and strong language**

**No smut**

"The devil's finest trick is to persuade you that he does not exist." - Charles Baudelaire

•❀──────✧❀✦❀✧──────❀•

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock

It was fairly quiet when the hospital wall clock struck midnight. Tankhun was sleeping on the hospital chair, softly snoring, Macau was sitting next to him playing some game on his phone, and Pol, well, Pol was just there doing whatever he was doing.

It's been two weeks and Pete hasn't woken up, not yet. The surgery went well and he had bandages all over his torso. Aside from the two bullet wounds that left his skin scarred, he had some deep bruises all over his chest. Luckily, the black eye and the busted lip that appeared after the confrontation seemed to disappear.

Pete was dreaming. He was dreaming about his family— about his grandparents sitting at home, listening to the island's quiet waves while waiting for him to come and visit; his grandma's smooth hand caressing his face, telling him how proud she is, how happy...

Dreaming about Vegas and Macau fighting over the last scoop of ice cream. The Theerapanyakun brothers did love their coconut and pistachio combination quite a lot...

Dreaming about Venice— who became the light of his life, his pride and joy; Venice, who made the bond between him and Vegas even more unbreakable; Venice, who was the last missing piece in making them a family...

Dreaming about his mom. Somehow, he couldn't even remember her face. It was so long ago, he was so young, so heartbroken. When she died, she took a piece of his soul with her.

He felt safe in his dreams. Untouchable. Invincible. He was happy seeing all of his loved ones, even the ones who were already gone.

A voice called his name. It sounded like a whisper, he wasn't sure if he was imagining it or not. "Honey, wake up," said the black-haired woman in his dream; she was faceless. "It's not your time yet."

And then, he stopped dreaming.

"Macau! Pol! You lazy asses! Wake up!" The oldest Theerapanyakun brother— who was already awake— started shouting in the middle of the room.

"Wh—what happened?" Macau and Pol who were sleeping just a second ago, whose heads were supporting each other, hands and legs touching, asked in unison as they awkwardly untangled themselves from one another.

"I saw his finger move! Look!" He said as he moved to sit on his knees next to Pete's bed.

"I don't see anything Khun..."

"No! He moved! I swear I saw it! Just wait a few seconds," Tankhun said while clapping his hands, overly excited.

10 seconds later, Pete moved his right-hand fingers again.

"Shia! He really did move!" Said Pol surprised. They all came to stand next to Pete, staring at him intensely until he managed to open his eyes.

"Mhmm..."

Pete opened his eyes slowly and moved his gaze to the side, where 3 figures were standing gawking, chins tilted forward.

"Wha... what... where am I?"