2. Just Getting Started

"I would rather regret the things I've done than regret the thing I haven't done." -Lucille Ball

"Oh! How could I forget? I am glad to see you." She smiles a big toothy grin as she turns to look at us. She puts her hand on a short blonde girl's shoulder. "This is Riley Thompson. She will be showing you around once you start here."

~~~~~

"Hi! My name is Riley. I can't wait to help show you around."

"It's nice to meet you. Thank you so much; that would help a lot." 

"Thanks for that introduction Mrs.P but I have to go now., " She waves as she begins to walk away, "Bye guys." I see her leave the building and get into her shiny car just outside the building doors.

Riley seemed the type of girl to be friends with everyone just because she was nice to them. She also appeared confident to everyone she met and that can have a lasting impact on how people view you. Add on top of that, she was extremely beautiful with her long blonde hair, blue eyes, tiny body frame, and freckles. All the way around she sounds like a good friend. I can only hope we become close friends with time. It would be nice to have a friend walking into this. I think the most nerve-racking thing of all was the idea of meeting new people and starting with no friends. That is the worst part of moving. Going to a new school where you know nobody and everyone judges you immediately. People like Riley tend to make it just a little bit more bearable. I hope she is as nice on the inside as she seems on the outside. 

"Okay then. Thank you so much for helping us sign her up."  My mom and I walked to the car, already tired from the day. We rode mostly in silence. "So, how did you like the school? Are you excited still?" Mom asks.

"Yes, mom. I am still excited." I roll my eyes but giggle at her persistence. She pulls the car into a parking space in the store parking lot down the road. We are going to the store to buy a couple of extra school supplies. I already have a good amount of notebooks and pens and highlighters from last year. I take my school supplies very seriously. As silly as it is, they make me happy. On my desk, you can find a stack of books, a stack of notebooks, a jar of pens and highlighters, a cubby with sticky notes, a planner, and a whiteboard. And all of it is organized to my liking. We exit the car and after entering the cool building. The difference between the hot outdoor air and the chilly indoor breeze is enough to give me a headache. We go straight to the office section. All I need to grab is a couple of items including construction paper and extra pens. Of course, I end up getting a couple more items. After throwing all the items in the cart, we head over to the checkout. We try not to stay in too long because we would buy half the store if we could. As always, my mom sparks up a conversation with the checkout lady, who is sweet as a doll, and it somehow makes me anxious. But I am used to it.

~~~

Later at home, I change into my sweats and a t-shirt and throw my hair up into a messy bun. I head straight for the Oreos, my all-time favorite snack. After plopping down on the couch, I grab the remote and turn on the TV. I turn on my favorite show. Time seems to disappear when I watch tv. That's why I love films and tv shows. I get so lost in the plots and the rest of the world disappears. I got so lost in the drama of the show, I don't even notice my mother walk into the room.

"Isabelle," she calls in a sing-song voice along with a chuckle, "Sweetie you know that isn't healthy. You've been hidden away in the living room with all the lights off for three hours. Let's turn some lights on." The lights coming on burn my eyes just a bit.