7. More Than Friends

"To young hearts, keep beating, keep breaking, keep falling in love." -Unknown

"Well, I'm here whenever you want to talk."

"How about now since we are done with our work." He looks at me ever so patiently.

"I would love that. Tell me whatever you want and I will listen." 

"It started in eighth grade," he immediately begins telling me more about himself, "and I had had a crush on Ellie for a while. Like since kindergarten."

"Wow. Thanks a long time."

"I know. So I thought it was love. She was nice to everyone back then. The sweetest girl ever. You kind of remind me of her. Well, the old her. She was more outgoing and pushy then too though. But I didn't care. I loved her Belle, I really did. And I think she loved me back then. Eventually, we had to grow up though. My parents lost their jobs and had to get new ones, so we changed houses. Ellie wasn't understanding at all. She would just get mad at me all the time for being preoccupied. I was so anxious all the time. But now I am just learning to deal with it. I don't get upset because of her anymore. But ever since you stood up for me, I have been thinking a lot about it. The only reason I am still with her is that she has been the only steady thing in my life."

I take a second to digest what Marco has just told me. It is a lot. 

"Marco, I am so sorry. I know me saying that doesn't fix anything, but I feel for you. If she has been giving you that much anxiety, then surely she isn't that stable in your life."

"Maybe. But I couldn't deal with any change right now. I don't want to keep feeling helpless. I'm a man. It just isn't right, ya know?"

"I completely understand, but that doesn't mean you have to feel that way. You have me after all. You don't have to be hopless."

~~~

*Jingle bells playing in the background*

"Jingle bells!"

"Batman smells!"

"Robin laid an eegggg!" Nate knew all the lyrics of the infamous batman remake to the jingle bells song.

"The bat mobile lost a wheel!"

"And the Joker got away! Hey!," me and Nate finished the song in unison, just as the real song in the mall speakers ended. The mall in the neighboring city is packed this Monday afternoon because of everyone shopping for Christmas presents. I always do my Christmas gift shopping early. It turns out that me and Nate have that in common. As soon as Thanksgiving is over, we all moved right on to Christmas. We were talking at lunch today about all of our Christmas traditions. Nate and Chevy have similar traditions to me, but Nate is the only one at our table who also shops early. Marco and Riley both have large gatherings and host Christmas parties around Christmas. It was fun to see them all get along. Even Nate tried to be nicer to Marco.

"Oh, Nate! We should go get hot chocolates. That would be the perfect end to our evening, don't ya think?"

"Most definitely." 

We go next door to the winter treat pop-up in the mall and order two large decorated hot chocolates. I am surprised to see a giant collector mug with chocolate frosting on the top sides of a mug with sprinkles and marshmallow-topped whipped cream. 

"Whoa!" we both say in unison. This was more than we expected. "I have to take a picture!" We are so similar. It is nice finding people like me. 

"Let's sit down over on one of the benches." I invite Nate to sit with me, giggling the whole time. "When It comes to sweets, I am a little kid all the way."