17. Stick it out

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." -John Quincy Adams

I am dying.

That must be it. I feel like I am dying right now. My whole body aches and I can't feel my head except the back of my throat which is on fire.

I get up this morning to the smell of pancakes and I immediately want to vomit. I can feel my insides church with each inhale of batter. I get up and run out of my room to the bathroom. As I lean over the toilet, nothing comes out. I sit here for a while, waiting, but nothing happens.

Maybe I'm sick. I go to grab the thermometer out of the bathroom closet so that I can check my temperature but it isn't there.

I don't want to go downstairs to look for it. I grab my phone and walk back to my bedroom.

'Is the thermometer down there?'
I text my mom so I don't have to go down there in case I am sick.

'Let me check.'

A minute is spent waiting for her to answer.

'Yes, it is.'

I walk down the stairs and reach into the closet once I am downstairs. The thermometer beeps with a flash as I press the bottom to prepare it. Into my mouth, it goes.
102.9
I have a fever. Of course, I have a fever.

"MOM! I THINK I'M SICK!" My voice barely reaches yelling point when I call out to my mother in the other room. "I HAVE A FEVER."

When I don't hear a reply, I walk into the living room to find my mom lounging with her laptop open beside her. She is already dressed for the day, but she looks tired as ever. I feel bad for interrupting her morning with my meds, but I need to go to the doctor.

"Okay, sweetie. We will go to the doctor in a minute. I just need to wake up first."

Obviously, she is awake, but I get that she needs to be more aware and have more energy for the day.

~~~

"You have mono."

I stare at my doctor in astonishment. "What do you mean I have mono?"

"Who you been kissing?!" my mom asks, staring at me with wide eyes.

She had to come with me to the doctor because I am in too much pain to drive.

I throw my hands up in surrender because I don't know where I got mono.

And then it hits me. In a blissful state, I and Marco kissed last night. I must have gotten it from him. But he didn't seem sick last night.

"Nobody mom," I finally reply.

The doctor just laughs at our exchange. "I hate to be the bar or of bad news. You will need to stay at home and rest for as long as it takes you to feel better. This could take a good two to four weeks, and may even linger for longer. This means you need to stay hydrated and you may take ibuprofen for pain."

He stands up before continuing, "If that is all, the front nurse will meet you upfront for scheduling. I hope you feel better soon." He waves and leaves the door open behind him.

~~~

After getting inside from my trip to the doctor, I drag myself up to my room and shut myself in, effectively trapping my germs with me. My first thought is to text Marco and see if he is okay, so I open my phone.

It seems like he had the same idea because his name pops up on the screen.

'I am so sick Belle.'
'I hope I didn't get you sick,' he messaged.