4. Let's Be Friends

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

*May need a trigger warning for the end of this chapter*

I am getting used to the halls of hunter high pretty well. Each day I wave and smile to the teachers and fellow passing students. Stopping to give the occasional compliment for someone like, 'Hey, I really like your hair.' Or, 'Hey, I really like your outfit.' It has been two weeks since school started, and I was already growing more popular, but I could never leave the friends I have made for those who judges me at first. The only person who doesn't really like me still is Ellie and her gang. I obviously struggle here and there with the crowds of people, but I try to not let it get me down. Some days I have anxiety attacks that leave me breathless and have to go to the counselor, but they are getting less and less now. What keeps me going throughout the day is mostly looking forward to lunch with my new friends. 

Speaking of which, It is almost lunchtime. I haven't really been eating much but it is okay because my friends don't ask many questions. Riley has been the biggest support in school, checking in to see if I am okay constantly. Chevy has also been a big help in getting adjusted with her warm presence. And then there is Nate. Sweet Nate. He always boosts my mood. These three people are so important to me even though I have only known them for a short while. 

*Briiiiinggg*

*Briiiiinggg*

*Briiiiinggg*

The entire Spanish class jumps from their seats, bags already packed, ready for their next class. Some of us, including me, are ready for lunch. I wait for the door to clear before I eventually stand and leave the class. 

"Bye Sir," I say to the teacher with a polite smile. Now to go to the cafeteria. I rush past the crowds of people at each classroom door and turn to enter the cafeteria. Where I would normally see my entire table of friends, I only see Chevy and Nate.

"Hey guys," I start as I approach the table, "Is Riley not here yet?"

"Nope." Both Chevy and Nate answer at the same time.

"Well, that's odd. She is normally the first one here." And that was true because her class was right next door. 

"Well, she texted me that she would be late for lunch today." Chevy and Riley were always texting. I try to put in a mental note to exchange phone numbers with everyone. I don't know how I haven't yet. I try to let the uneasiness in my chest subside with the information that she would be late for lunch. But when she didn't show up after five minutes, and then fifteen, and then thirty I began to really worry. With only fifteen minutes left of lunch, I decides to go look for her. I know I would want someone to if they thought something was wrong, and if I know Riley even a little bit then she will feel the same way. So I excuse myself from the table and explain what I was doing before exiting the cafeteria. 

First I walk up and down the halls just to make sure she wasn't wandering the halls. I don't see her in the halls so I check the bathroom on the far side of the building. Nothing. 'I need to try the other bathroom,' I tell myself. I am walking into the other bathroom when I hear sobbing. Not just crying, but sobbing. That couldn't be Riley, could it? I think before making my next move.

"Hello?" I call out in hopes of hearing Riley respond. Instead, I just notice the sobbing stop. "Riley? Is that you?"

"Uh. Yeah, why?" A short sniffle comes out of the stall like she was trying to cover up the fact that she was just crying.