5. How to Help

"The best of who you are is not from who you have in your life, rather who they helped you become because they loved you." - Shannon L. Alder

Riley and I are immediately overwhelmed by the silence of the detention room. We give each other a look showing just how uncomfortable we are. The teacher is on his phone in his chair, probably watching a show or something. Realizing we are stuck in this situation, we go and sit in the front row of desks.  I immediately pull out my homework from my backpack, and leave my bag behind my chair, to get started. 

Riley is reading and studying while I do my homework. I am deep in thought over my pre-cal work that I don't even hear the door open as the last student walks in. All I notice is the tap of a rough finger on my arm.

I look up to see an attractive Marco Ambrose staring at me. "Um, do you have a pencil I can borrow?" 

"Yeah. Here you go." I hand him one of my yellow mechanical pencils and take a moment to admire him as he sits down beside me. I have seen him a couple of times in the halls. We would walk past each other and give a friendly smile, but nothing more. I always felt pulled to him and it scared me just a little. Today, his hair is a mess like he left the house without doing anything to it. His eyes are a silvery aqua as the light shines right on his face, also accentuating his light freckles. I didn't even know he had freckles. They are adorable. But I don't need to be focused on a boy right now, especially not him. So, I get back to work on my homework.

"Soo...do you come here often?" Marco asks as he giggles and shows his pearly white smile. He even has dimples. Could he get more perfect?

"No. I actually try to stay out of trouble normally." I can't help to laugh too, but I try to stay quiet

"Shhh!," the teacher tells us.  We both get embarrassed as the whole classroom looks up at us. We both try to go back to our work. I am almost done with my homework when a piece of paper ends up on top of my work. I look around to see who it was from and notice Riley looking at me.

'So you and Marco, huh?' I read the torn notebook paper and roll my eyes.

'Ha ha ha. Not really. We only met once until today.' We pass the note back and forth.

'Well, he seems to like you. But I still wouldn't go there if I were you. Don't forget that Ellie will end your whole high school career.' I read her last note, but it was kind of upsetting so I don't respond immediately.

'I'm not like that right now. I am focusing on my work. Which is what I should be doing right now and so should you.' She reads my tone of voice just how I would have said it by the look she is giving me. It is one of offense but also humor with her eyes squinted but her lips trying not to smile. 

"Shhh!," the teacher says again.

~~~

I haven't seen Marco since my last day of detention. We had talked about why he was in detention in the first place. Apparently, Ellie had gotten in trouble with a teacher multiple times and always pulled Marco into it. Like he could defend her against a teacher when she was in the wrong? Who does she think she is? Well, each time he would try and get in trouble. But he would always try for her. No one had talked to me about Marco except for my friends, so I didn't know much about him. He wasn't a bad guy just because he was in detention, I noticed. He was caring for those he chose to care for, and he was funny. I wonder what else I can learn about him?

It has been two weeks since the end of my and Rileys' detention debacle, and let me just say, I was getting behind. I saw everyone in class turning in all their work and understanding everything, but I am struggling. So it is no surprise to me when my pre-calculus teacher tells me to stay behind after class. But what is surprising is her also calling Marco to stay. The class was so big I had almost forgotten he was in the class. He must be falling behind too.