16. Do Not Assume

"Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong." -Albert Einstein

*clink*

"What is that sound?" I sit up in my bed and look around the dark moonlit room in a futile attempt to find what is causing the noise.

*Clank*

This time I am more concerned, so I get up from my fortress of blankets and turn on the lights to my room.

*CLUNK*

Now I see as a rock hits the window this time. I walk over to my window and draw the delicate grey curtains the rest of the way open. The ceiling light on in my room causes my reflection to blare back at me on the window, but if I focus just enough and look past myself, I can see a small figure underneath my window outside.

I unlock the latches holding my window closed and push the window up to open it. With it open, I can see more clearly what- or rather who- the figure is. Marco.

Before I can gather myself properly, I run out of my room, down the stairs, and fling open the back door to see a jittery Marco turned around with his back to me.

"What are you doing here?" I whisper as I walk closer to Marco, careful not to run at him for the fear that he might not be real.

He turns around and suddenly drops the pebbles from his hands, now running to me. He quickly wraps his arms around my frame completely and knocks the wind out of me in the process of hugging me. This is not what I was expecting.

"Isabelle," he says.

"Marco," I say back to him.

He gently drops his arms from my back and places them on top of my shoulders. He squeezes with a firm grasp, just enough for comfort. His eyes stare into mine as the silence wraps us in a hug of its own. I hate to break that silence but I have to.

"Marco. What are you doing here?"

He smiles at me and brings his arm up to the back of his neck showing just how nervous he is.

"I couldn't just sit around and do nothing. I had to come to talk to you."

"But I was looking for you all day?" I am even more confused now.

"Let's sit down so I can explain everything." He grabs my hand and guides me to my back steps for us to sit. "First off, Riley and Nate both messaged me to tell me that you were looking for me. Second of all, I am so sorry. For everything. For ever making you feel like you weren't enough. Belle, you are amazing-"

"Yeah I know but that doesn't mean you are gonna like me like that. I get it," I interrupt.

"No Isabelle. You don't get it. I do like you more than that."

"What?" I stare at him in astonishment.

He stands up and clears his throat before speaking.

"I didn't understand at first until the other day at the restaurant when you wouldn't look at me when I was talking to you. Then it clicked. When you interrupted me on Christmas eve, I was going to tell you that I didn't really know how I felt about you. I thought you knew that, so I guess I assumed everything was fine. I was stupid and didn't understand what you meant. When you ignored me at the restaurant, it broke my heart, Isabelle. I realized you were hurt by me, and I could never hurt you. I didn't understand the full extent of how m actions had affected you.

"Belle, you are my favorite person on this planet. I can not live a day without knowing that I can look forward to seeing you. Do you know that? You are what gets me up in the morning sometimes. Your kindness shows every time we talk and your laugh is infectious. I can't get enough of you. You have invited me into your life, and I am so appreciative of that. If only I had shown it right the first time."