Chapter 8

The dark green of the water turned black as the boats began to sink and drift in a circle that was the mouth of a whirlpool.

"We won't be able to handle this on our own. We need to focus on saving people. Young Master Jiang and Young Master Wei, you two form a team. Wangji, Young Master Jin, and I are a team. Now split up!" Lan Xichen ordered.

'BROTHER WHY ARE YOU NOT LETTING ME BE WITH MY BELOVED IN BOTH
LIFETIMES!?'

Within moments, everyone mounted their swords and moved into position. As if sensing its prey was leaving, the black tendrils begin attacking in earnest.

Hovering above his boat, Wei Wuxian is forced to dodge and navigate through the forceful onslaught. Barely dodging in time a few times as the tendrils cut off his path.

That was when he noticed Su She was stranded on his boat. His sword still had not resurfaced. He was already knee-deep in the water and frozen from fright.

Wei Wuxian darted over and grabbed Su She's wrist to pull him up from the water. Once again, he is dodging and weaving through the renewed onslaught of black tendrils before flying upwards.

Suibian was built for speed not for strength so the ascent from the water
began to slow as the front of the sword dipped towards the water.

The tendrils shoot forward from the water to catch the two ascending. Su She
flailed around erratically trying to avoid the tendrils. Tiring out, Su She decided an alternative was needed and yanked hard on the arm Wei Wuxian was gripping.

Wei Wuxian felt a sudden tug from Su She and braced before it almost knocked him off his balance. Thinking it because of the tendrils, Wei Wuxian forces his sword to ascend faster as Jiang Wanyin shot forward to help Wei Wuxian.

Definitely to help as he well...do I need to explain?

Another hard tug on his arm gave the tendrils enough time to wrap itself around Wei Wuxian's ankle and violently yank him off his sword. Wei Wuxian used the momentum to throw Su She safely towards Jiang Wanyin.

"Wei Wuxian!" Jiang Wanyin shouted as he stared at his Shixiong falling 'You are not allowed to die just yet!'

Wei Wuxian's body slammed into the water and is dragged to the bottom by
black wisps and tendrils. Soon he is pulled into the heart of the abyss as
silence overtakes his senses. An erie sense of peace calms his heart and eases his mind.

Wisps of resentment curl around Wei Wuxian's out stretched arm as corpses
and bones swirl into view. Words he had spoken in class echoed in his mind.

Spiritual energy is energy...

Resentful energy is energy as well.

Spiritual energy can split mountains and fill oceans.

It's available for human use.

If so, then why can't we also use resentful energy?

Resentment.

'Should I swim up? Or not?...I could just stay here, No one can hurt me here, No
more pain, No need to act, No need to be strong, No more...I'll be free.'

As if making the decision for him, a white clad arm reaches through the thick
resentment and Wei Wuxian feels his collar tighten. He is lifted into the air and
Wei Wuxian turns to see that his savior was none other than Lan Wangji.

'I can't believe I let this happen twice in a row! Wei Ying honey I'm sorry! But at least this time I was a little bit faster in getting you out of the water.'

Shoving aside his thoughts, Wei Wuxian spoke, "Lan Zhan, your sword is quite
strong! Thank you for saving me but why did you pull on my collar? I don't feel
comfortable if you grab me like this. Why don't I stretch my hand to you and you can grab that instead?"