CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

Lan Wangji was with Wen Yuan, now Lan Yuan, who had just turned 8 years old

"Gege?" Lan Wangji turned to look at his son.

"Mn?"

"What was Mama like?" The child was sad and Lan Wangji knew why. He keeps seeing his friends with their parents and would naturally want to know about his parents.

"Your Mama was a very strong person." he started and Lan Yuan looked at him with big eyes "Really?"

"Yes, your Mama protected innocents, and your Mama loved you very much."

"A-Yuan loves and misses Mama too!" Lan Yuan giggled.

"Your Mama won the war and protected many people. Your Mama was really powerful."

Lan Yuan looked at Lan Wangji with big eyes "Mama is cool!"

Lan Wangji smiled softly at the kid "Mn."

"Can I ask a question?" Lan Yuan looked hesitant to ask.

"You may."

"Where is Mama?"

Lan Wangji paused and his eyes went blank...he didn't even know that he started crying until the child went up to him and wiped his face. "I'm sorry Baba, I didn't mean to make you cry, I won't ask anymore." The child looked guilty and Lan Wangji shook his head.

"Don't worry, I just miss your Mama."

He hugged the child close. "I wasn't strong enough to protect your Mama from the bad guys...I promised your Mama I would protect you when I failed your Mama."

The child hugged him tighter "It's okay Baba! When I grow big and strong I will also protect you for Mama!"

What did he do to deserve this kid he's holding in his arms "Mn."

He held the child close until Lan Yuan fell asleep.

He brought him back to the disciple quarters before returning to the Jingshi and went to bed himself.