VII

VII.
__________
Song of the chapter:
Let's Not Be Alone Tonight by R5
__________

It was twelve-thirty in the morning. At that time, I was typically at home sleeping or catching up on homework or studying or sometimes even staying over at Anna's.

Never did I ever expect to be out that late on a Monday night- with Justin.

My mind kept nagging me and telling me I was going to regret what I was doing but at the same time, I couldn't deny that I was having a good time. He wasn't as terrible as everyone made him out to be. Sure, he was a tad cocky and his ego was a little too big for the both of us, but it was tolerable.

He taught me how to read palms and told me how he learned it and proceeded to let me in on a few of his friends, too.

"Do you know Connor Thredson? You might, he graduated a few years ago," he asked.

We were sitting at the counter and he faced me, giving me more attention than he ever had in our entire lifetime of knowing of each other.

I pondered my memory, trying to match a face to the name he gave me. "Not sure. What does he look like?"

"Sort of tall, dark hair, I don't know- oh, he used to be into art and all that kind of stuff."

"Right! Yes, I know him!" I cheered. "I mean, I don't know him but I remember seeing some of his artwork up in the halls during Freshman year. He's very talented."

"He's alright." Justin shrugged. "Anyways, him and I have a place a few blocks away."

My eyebrows pulled together out of mere instinct. "You live with him?" He nodded. "So, he's like your boyfriend?" I mocked.

His lips twisted into a grin, appreciating the fire I could easily give back to him. "More like a brother," he added.

"You don't live with your parents?" I raised the question that I knew might spark some type of emotion- even in Justin- but that was how I was. Sometimes, my curiosity got me into trouble. Okay, a lot of the time.

He shook his head. "No." He was surprisingly calm.

What do you expect? He's Justin Bieber. He doesn't do emotions, remember? Get with it, Kennedy. You're making this too easy for him.

"Why?"

"They live in Virginia- well, my mom does. We both used to live here, but she didn't like it anymore after divorcing my dad. She wanted a change of scenery, you know? But I like it here. It's quiet. So I stayed," he explained, not a hint of aggravation in his voice.

So, I pushed on like any good writer would. "And your dad?"

"I lived with him for a little while. But then," his eyes trailed upwards and his lips turned into a straight line. "well, let's just say that didn't work out so now he lives in North Carolina with his new wife and two kids."

"Didn't work out? What do you mean?"

To my astonishment, he laughed and scratched the back of his neck. "He sort of kicked me out. Guess I'm no good at following rules."

How is that nothing to him? If my parents even considered kicking me out, I'd be on my knees begging and pleading for their forgiveness. I'd be crying and hoping to god that they'd reconsider.

But that's the difference between Justin and I- I have a lot of feelings and he barely has any.

"That has to suck," I muttered.