XXVII

XXVII.
__________
Song of the chapter:
Photograph by Ed Sheeran
__________

My stomach hurt from laughing so hard. Sure, it was probably the four full Solo cups of wine talking, but I was having more fun than I'd had in a long time. I didn't even know what I was laughing at, but whatever it was must have been pretty damn funny.

"Kennedy Nolan, are you drunk?" Justin asked, laughing along with me. He didn't seem to be drunk at all. After all, he probably drank before and built up a tolerance. This, however, was my first.

I shook my head. "No! I'm not!"

"I can tell! Your nose is red and you won't stop laughing," he smiled.

Rolling my eyes, I waved my hand at him. "Maybe a little. I'm not sure."

"I can't believe it. I'm witnessing this."

"Justin," I sighed, disregarding his comment. "You are really good at this. Like, really good."

He laughed, taking my cup out of my hands and putting it off to the side. I didn't seem to care that he cut me off. I was sure I'd thank him later. "Good at what?"

"Getting me to do all of these things I've never done!" I threw my hands up. "Like drinking and smoking weed and doing that other thing," I began, too shy to reminisce on the night he went down on me, even when I was drunk. "I feel like I need to get you to try something new. I owe it to you!"

"Yeah?" he raised an eyebrow. "Like what?"

I shrugged. "Don't know. I'll need a list of all the things you've never done before. As soon as possible!"

He licked his lips, trying to fight back a smile. "I'll get right on that."

You've never been in love. I want you to fall in love with me, my mind shouted. As they always say, drunk words are sober thoughts. Although, this was a drunk thought. I wasn't going to ever say those things out loud. I want you to fall so desperately hard for me that you forget about your past. I don't want you to blame yourself for whatever it is that you do to those girls. I want all of it to go away. Stop being so afraid, and fall for me. Do it before I fall for you.

"Why don't you drink more?" I asked, sober enough to push my sudden thoughts away. My nose and my mouth felt numb. And that was the true indicator that I was drunk. Anna told me that a long time ago.

"Because someone needs to take care of you," he bit his lip.

My mouth fell open, much more dramatically than it needed to. "No. Justin, no, that's not how this goes! I am so capable of taking care of myself," my hand landed on my chest. "Do you get that? I am so fucking, like, strong, you know? Women are amazing. They can do anything. I can do anything."

He giggled. "I believe you."

"Good," I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Now please drink some more. I feel like you're left out."

"You feel like I'm left out? Since when can you feel for me?"

I crossed my arms over my stomach. "Since right now."

He ran his tongue over his teeth, observing me intently with a soft smile. "You're something else. Seriously."

"Please Justin!" I begged.

He rolled his eyes playfully and put his hands up, indicating defeat. I felt my face light up excitedly as he finished what was in his fourth cup, which seemed to be quite a bit. As long as he was even a little buzzed, I was fine with it. I wanted to see him more loosened up.