XVII

XVII.
__________
Viewers discretion is advised.

Song of the chapter:
Somebody Else by the 1975

(can I use the same song 2 chapters in a row?? idk, but I just did)
__________

"I'll go first. Just watch me, okay?" Justin had already packed the bowl, and he was holding it up in his right hand with the lighter in his left. "So, make sure you hold your thumb over this little hole on the side when you inhale, like this. Then light it and inhale, and let go of the hole when you're done."

I watched Justin blankly as he sat beside me on the couch, wondering if I was supposed to take notes or something. It seemed so complex. "Oh, is that all?" I asked sarcastically.

"Shut up," he laughed. "Just watch me."

And oh, I did. He brought the blue and green glass bowl up to his soft pink lips, and his eyes fell down to his hands, focusing hard. His eyebrows scrunched ever so slightly as his thumb flicked the lighter and in the process, a strand of his hair fell over his forehead. The flame just barely touched the pot, causing it to look like ashes from a campfire. He inhaled, his muscled chest moving upwards as he took in a breath. Slowly, he lowered the bowl and exhaled, allowing smoke to pour from his mouth and nose. Through the hazy clouds, his eyes slowly moved up to mine. I nearly melted into a puddle.

"You think you got it?" his voice was raspy and quiet.

My nose was suddenly filled with a foreign smell, which was the weed. It didn't smell like I had originally imagined it would. It was unexplainable.

"Uh, maybe," I stammered, taking the bowl and lighter from Justin's hands as he gave them to me. I looked down at them, forgetting just about everything he told me to do. If I hadn't been staring at him, maybe I would have known. "Okay hold on, let me figure this out."

My trembling fingers awkwardly held the bowl in the palm of my hand as I attempted to get the lighter to start. A small spark ignited, but no flame.

"Let me," he exhaled, moving so close to me that my bare legs were touching his jeans. He took the items from my cold hands, his warm ones brushing mine slowly. "Okay, I'll light and you hold the bowl, okay? Remember what I said about the hole on the side."

I nodded, relieved that he was going to assist me. I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself. "Release it after I'm done inhaling. Got it."

His lips curved into a half smile, his eyes browsing over my face and back down to the lighter. I lifted the bowl to my lips in an attempt to avoid his deep gaze. I covered the hole with my thumb, feeling my heart race in my chest.

"You ready?" he purred from beside me.

I nodded again.

His thumb flicked the lighter and suddenly there was a flame. I began inhaling as Justin continued to hold the lighter to the small green and now gray ashes. My lungs began to burn immensely. I suddenly missed fresh air. He released and I did shortly after. In an attempt to exhale, I began coughing.

"Holy shit," I held my hand to my chest. Justin simply laughed and handed me the bottle of water he grabbed. I sipped it quickly. "How do you not cough?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Practice, I guess."

I didn't feel any different. I looked around the room to see if anything appeared different or sounded different or anything, but there was nothing. I felt like the same old Kennedy.

My eyes moved up to the light smoke that filled the bedroom. I watched Justin as he took another hit, looking just as hot as he did the first time. I was almost ready to pinch myself considering I couldn't believe the situation I put myself in.