LIII

LIII.
__________
Song of the chapter:
Take Me by Aly & AJ
__________

My fingers fumbled with the clasp to my second earring before it finally clicked in place. Stepping back, I smoothed my sage green dress that I had to buy specifically for the wedding, and I studied myself in the mirror.

"How stupid," I mumbled to myself, knowing I was only going to be wearing the silky dress once ever. It was about knee length and flared out at my waist just below my breasts. The tastefully low cut dress was flattering and all, but I just knew I'd never find use for it again after that day.

"This color is so stupid!" my dad shouted from his bedroom, prompting me to giggle quietly to myself. "I feel like I'm going to Easter brunch, or even worse,  church!"

I could hear my mom scoff as she moved down the hall towards my room. "You are going to church, oh, Smart One."

Though we were in two separate rooms, I could make out the image of my dad's eyes rolling in response to my mom's sarcasm. As I touched up a few of the curls in my hair, I found myself chuckling again at their banter, as I usually did. My mom knocked on my door to make sure I was decent, then popped her head in.

"I'm going to kick your father's ass," she grumbled, smiling in the process. Although she constantly teased him, she was most definitely in love with him. I was thankful to be shown such a remarkable example of what love really was from my parents. I figured that due to them, I would know exactly what it was when I felt it. "He is right, though, this color is stupid."

I sprayed perfume on my wrists to complete my appearance that had taken me at least two and a half hours. I knew there would be tons of pictures, and I wanted to ensure that I looked okay for the endless photo albums to come. There was nothing worse than looking at pictures and thinking, "Wow, I just look terrible!"

"I feel like an Andes Mint," I stated, adding onto my dad's comments about the pastel-like color. It really wasn't all that bad; we were simply teasing.

My mom stood beside me in my mirror and perfected her burgundy lipstick, smiling at my remark. Instead of egging me and my dad on, she changed the subject. "I like that Justin, you know."

Swallowing back my immediate nerves at the slightest mention of him, I nodded.

Dinner went exceptionally well. I knew it was going to be fine, but Justin really allowed his worries to leave his body as soon as he stepped foot in the door. He was polite, kind, social, and spoke with the eloquence that I knew he obtained. His sarcastic sense of humor fit in extremely well with the light conversation of the night, and my parents really seemed to like him.

Although it did go well, Justin and I didn't spill the beans on our relationship. My mom and dad most likely knew something was up, but they weren't the type to pry. I was going to tell them when I was ready. However, I was pleased to know that my parents finally knew of Justin's existence. It was exceptionally tiring having to sneak around all the time. Not to say I wasn't going to still have to, but it would be much less.

"I'm glad to hear that," I replied.

"He's cute," she raised an eyebrow. I knew she was trying to get me to open up and tell her exactly what I felt for him, but it wasn't like me to do that. "And you guys really seem to get along."

I laughed. "Are you trying to get me to tell you that I like Justin?"

She shook her head innocently. It was obvious to both of us that it was what she wanted. "No, not at all. Just making conversation."