The Twenty-Second Voyage

"S-Sinbad?! What are you doing here?!!" I exasperated, quickly walking toward him, so the children were less likely to hear our conversation. All he did was smirk in my direction before gliding past me.

"I asked your sister to clear your schedule for the day, so you may show me around Feanel." All the kids peeked out from their hiding spots. Some clung to my skirt, while other directly approached the bejeweled male. "Are you going to introduce me?"

"Of course..." I hesitated, looking around at the five, large eyes, "This is Mido. He's a little troublemaker. This is Fado, she's pretty quiet. Next to her is Makar. Next to Mido is Rown, and of course... this is little Saria."

"I believe I met Saria last night, though I'm glad to be introduced to all of you." Sinbad greeted, as all the children stared up at him.

"(Y/N)..." Fado questioned, tugging on my dress skirt to get my attention. Kneeling down to her level, I allowed her to whisper into my ear, "Would Sinbad mind if we did a performance for him to get a second opinion?" My (E/C) eyes stared over to the male, as he continued to smile in our direction. I urged Fado and others to ask Sinbad themselves. When they did so, Sinbad was more than happy to hear the progress being made. I played the first two verses, before the boys came in, following the notes I was playing with their voices. The girls came in after them. Once finishing, I glanced toward the purple-haired sailor.

"Truly wonderful." He congratulated, clapping his hands together. All the children smiled, before running off with one another. I was about to stop them, reaching out a hand in protest, before his hand covered my own. His amber eyes motioned toward the exit, as I complied. "You've taught those kids well."

"Oh, I barely did anything!" I told nervously, folding my hands together, "I merely saw talent in them, and I thought that singing would take their minds off of things..." Sinbad processed the words, continuing to walk down the filled streets with me. "So... where did you want to visit first?"

"All your favorite places will do just nicely." No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a read on Sinbad. Ever since I was small, I just didn't understand him. Stopping in place, I looked back to the castle in thought. 'Perhaps I should change clothes...'

"Sinbad, would you like to head back to the castle with me? I have to change attire... and I think you should too." After all, he was covered in all his jewelry, making the King stick out like a sore thumb. He agreed, before I lead him into the Great Hall. We parted ways, promising to meet in said hall once we finished. I got changed into my usual blouse and leather pants, before putting on some leather boots. Looking myself in the mirror, I felt odd, like the outfit I choose wasn't good enough. Could it have been Sinbad? Probably. I decided to wear it anyway, all things considered. Halfway to the Great Hall, I was stopped by Amadio.

"Ah, (Y/N)! There you are!! I have all the flower seeds and goods that you asked for!!" Taking the wicker basket from the male, I thanked him kindly for gathering everything up, "What is all of that for anyway?" He asked.

"Oh, just for a hobby of mine. It isn't a big deal. Is everything taken care of for the festival on your end?" Amadio smiled at me brightly, walking beside me at the same pace.

"Yes. In fact, I was assigned to take care of your duties." Amadio spoke, continuing to walk me down the relatively busy hallway. This caught my attention, while my thoughts drifted back to Sinbad. 'He said that he asked Kara to alleviate my duties for the festival... Why would he do that? Is it really to spend time with me? What in the world is he trying to find?' Shaking my head, but not forgetting any of my questions, I thanked Amadio kindly, before we continued forward. "On the topic, I have some papers for you to sign. Along with a couple questions. The committee was wondering if you would like the main dish to be lobster bisque or thermidor. We were also thinking about crab dishes as well."

"Lobster bisque was my father's favorite. But feel free to add whatever the committee decides to add." Amadio blinked his eyes out of confusion before I continued, "Besides... that's what father would've wanted..."

"A-Alright!" He wrote it down before continuing. "Another thing was flowers... what do you think is suitable for this year?" Putting a finger on my chin, I thought about all sorts of flowers. My father never bothered himself with such things. In fact, he only stared at a flower when he was crafting my sister and I's vases. Though, it was never real. Only through a book, could he know what they looked like. My sister's, supposedly, was themed with tulips and orchids. Mine was covered in orange blossoms and chamomile.

"Fennel leaves and sea lavender." I answered simply, as we entered the Great Hall, "Father was never really fond of flowers, so that should be enough. Perhaps white tulips would be wonderful as well. I'll leave the rest up to the committee." My eyes trailed over to an approaching sailor before I continued. "If you have any other questions, just let me know after dinner."

"Yes, (Y/N)." With that Amadio left me alone with the purple-haired sailor. He changed. And by that, I mean he took off his jewelry. To be frank, he did wear very comfortable clothing all the time, compared to most. Basket still in hand, I clenched it tightly, not knowing what to say to him. This was pretty odd.

"You ready to show me around?" He questioned, as I swiftly nodded my head. As we walked along the road, Sinbad remained silent for the most part. I wondered if I should start a conversation. However, we kept getting approached by the citizens of Feanel. What intrigued Sinbad the most about these interactions was the term 'the Heights.' My once empty basket was now filled with offerings, as we reached the entrance of a forest path. "Where are we headed to?" Sinbad questioned, as I turned to look at him.

"I promise I'll show you around in a small while. I just want to visit my father and mother before I forget." I continued forward, about to disappear into the dark, before Sinbad caught up once more. Needing an extra hand, I gently took Sinbad's hand, before placing the basket on it. Grabbing a nearby torch, I took out my flint and steel. Once receiving a spark, I started to blow on the small smolder, before the fire lit up. "Aha!" I celebrated, usually having to work on it a few times before succeeding, "Sorry about that. It's dangerous to walk around in the dark." About to take the basket from him again, he held it away from.

"Don't worry. I'll hold onto it." He smirked, giving me a quick wink. Though, I wouldn't see it due to the shadows. 'How gentlemanly...' I thought briefly, before he continued to speak, "So, why is this area so dark? The sun's still in the sky."

"I always believed it to be the forest's defense mechanism. In a way." As I led him through, I told of everything I know, "When my family and the other good people of Janah arrived on this island, this dark fog was here. Though, it's not like this for everyone. Varying on the person, the fog is either opaque or nonexistent. The children of the village are able to search through these woods without a single issue. In fact, this forest is what saved us. Careful, it's slippery here!" Crossing the stream, we continued onwards, "My sister and I traveled through these woods before finding fennels. Those roots saved Feanel from starving to death. Sure, we had fish, but we couldn't just eat meat all the time. A year or so after that, my sister was unable to see clearly through the woods, and soon enough, I lost sight as well. Only the purely innocent can see clearly. Anything after that, you need a source of light." Sinbad was having a hard time looking through the fog, which I found odd. I was able to see through with the flame, but Sinbad seemed to have a hard time seeing where he was going.

Two-thirds of the way out, Sinbad reached out for my shoulder, before grazing his hand down my arm. He grasped my hand, making sure he saw where he was going. Making it out, the sailor's eyes dilated from the extreme exposure to sunlight. "Thank you for letting me use you as my guide, (Y/N)." He thanked, "I really couldn't see in there." A sinner will inevitably get lost in the fog. Only the purest of souls can transverse without an issue. The innocent will survive, but for how long? The more sins committed, the less you can see.

'What has Sinbad done to not see anything at all?'