𝐂𝐇𝐏 𝟐 - Potions

I walk into the potions class with the new potions master Professor Slughorn standing at the main table with a potion in the middle of it, we must be studying that one today. This was the second class I've had with this guy and to say he was strange was to say the least, he definitely had a strange character.

I walked over to my table near the back, thankfully I snagged it early in the year so I would be assigned there; I always liked the back better. Sitting down in my seat and dropping my bag under the table, late students started to come into the classroom and sit down causing Slughorn to start the lesson. First he called the roll which had an extra name on it that peaked my interest, Mattheo Riddle would be in my potions class.

But when I looked around the room, he was no where to be found. I decided to wait a few minutes to see if he would show, only to come to the conclusion that he was skipping his first class. What a good student he is.
Slughorn then went on a rant about the potion we would be making this lesson, it was an antidote for common poisons.

He then told us to take out the potion basic books he had given us last lesson and read the chapter on the potion, it was simple enough but from what I knew we didn't have a lot of unicorn horns in supply so we must be working in pairs. Just as I suspected, Slughorn then started to read the group partners, calling out names from both Gryffindor and Slytherin. I just hope I'm not with one of the many annoying Gryffindors.

"Potter and Weasley,

Granger and Smith,

Jones and Davies,

Hyde and Riddle."

What. Did I just hear that right? I look around the room again to see if he had snuck in while I wasn't paying attention but to my luck he wasn't. Sure I wasn't going to judge him just cause of his daddy dearest but come on, I didn't expect to have to work with him.

Slughorn came up to me and said that since Riddle wasn't there, I could work by myself until he showed up which I agreed too. I sighed to myself before getting up and collecting one unicorn horn, a vial of Mistletoe berries and a jar of Bezoar powdered; placing them onto my bench and setting up my cauldron. I flick open my textbook to see the instructions to make the potion, and I start to follow them.

About halfway through the potions process, I see a person come into the classroom and walk up to Slughorn. I look up from my work to see that Mattheo Riddle finally decided to come to class, although that meant he would have to come over here. Slughorn talks to him and points over to my table, Riddle looks over to me and we meet each others eyes. His stare was warmer than I thought it would be but it was still intimidating, I broke the contact and looked back to my work deciding to keep going since I was half way done.

I flick the page over in my textbook for the next instructions when I hear footsteps beside me come to a halt, he must have walked over already. I could feel his eyes on me so I flicked my eyes up to his, they were a deep brown mixed with black. He watched me with what I think is a curious stare but this guy is hard to read, I look back down to the potion and add the mistletoe berry purée I made earlier. Riddle just stood there while I did all the work, not only does he not care about getting to class on time but also watches people work without helping; lazy arse.

"So your not going to help me then." I sarcastically state with annoyance, I hate doing all the work in a group project, one of my pet peeves. I hear him audibly chuckle, the nerve. He slides the textbook closer to him before closing it and opening his mouth to rely,

"Don't need too, everything is practically done." He says with a smug grin, I scoff to myself and finish off the potion with the dusted unicorn horn which dissolved in the liquid. I stir the potion 3 times clockwise and it turns into a translucent colour similar to water, satisfied with my effort I smile to myself. I look over to Riddle who was now staring at me and leaning on the desk in a relaxed fashion, I mimic his posture and stare at him.

This guy is quite annoying, willingly standing to the side and watching me work without a care in the world. Deciding to study this guy close up, I see that he had two scars on his face, one going vertically down the left side going down from the side of his forehead straight down his eye and onto the middle of his cheek, the other was cross the bridge of his nose; that one looked newer. His dark curls had subtle brown highlights that only showed when light was hitting them right, he also had quite long eyelashes for a guy.

I have to admit he's not harsh on they eyes but definitely an irritating personality, I just know that the younger slytherin girls will be fawning over him for being the typical 'bad boy'.

"What are you staring at." Riddle's grin was gone and his eyes were thinner than before, more sceptical now that I was studying him.

"Nothing important." I shrug my shoulders and turn back around to the opened ingredient bottles, packing them up and sliding them over to him. He looks down at them before returning his gaze at me,

"But while your not busy, make yourself useful Riddle and put these away." I smiled at him with a hint of passive aggression, something tells me that he wouldn't listen unless you play by his rules. That stupid smirk returned to his face, taking the two bottles into his hands and turned around to put them away.

I sigh before funnelling the potion into the jar we were given, meanwhile Slughorn walked over to the table where he watched me pour it.

"Very good Miss Hyde, you have a talent for potions." He briefly praised me for my work which I appreciated but inevitably didn't pay much attention to, due to him walking away almost immediately to go see what the famous Harry Potter was doing. I place the funnel aside after all the liquid had came off it, just as I put it down my slack partner came back with the biggest shit eating grin imaginable. I give him a sceptical look, what was he up to?

"What did you do?" I say with a stern tone, but it didn't seem to phase this guy.

"I put them away." That devilish look said otherwise,

"On the table with the others?"

"You didn't specify where."

I search the room with my eyes and immediately spot the two jars on the top ingredient shelve laying on their sides, this mother fuc-

"You little shit." I curse under my breath but it seemed that he heard me from the evil chuckle he gave me in return, now I've got to get them myself. I strut past him towards the shelves and use my wand to get them down with ease, it wasn't a big deal but just the fact that he did it on purpose was aggravating. I place them down with the other bottles and walk back to my desk, him watching me the entire time with an amused to it in his eyes.

I shoot him a glare before sitting back down in my seat, he finally sat down after me and ran his index finger up the spine of my textbook.

"That's the wrong book for that Riddle." I rest my head on my folded arms, laying them on the table and taking a deep breath.

"What makes you think you can call me that?" He raised an eyebrow,

"What do you want me to call you then, voldy jr?" Riddle's smirk dropped and for the first time he looked genuinely pissed off, I shut my mouth and looked away from him; kinda worth it for him being an arse earlier.

"Don't call me that." He spoke through clenched teeth, his jawline tensing under the pressure. I shrugged my shoulders again not bothered enough to argue further, I already pissed him off. That's called karma mate.

~

The class ended finally, reaching over to get my bag from the floor. I straightened back up and see the seat empty beside me, Riddle had hightailed it for the door and was already gone. Imagine rushing to the next class, couldn't be me.

I stand up from my seat and walk towards the door after the Gryffindors, next class was herbology which made me smile; favourite class. But that doesn't mean I'm going to rush, the hufflepuff lady likes me anyways.

God I hope he isn't in my class.