𝐂𝐇𝐏 𝟐𝟗 - Attempts

THIRD PERSON's POV

The house tables were chatty with eager students that buzzed in conversation about their holidays once again as if the train ride was just the introduction. Although amongst the senior students, it wasn't so loud. The younger students still had the naivety of not being able to notice the shift, only being curious when Dumbledore wasn't present at the staged table of teachers.

That was until the hall was silenced with one of the new teachers shrill shouting over the students in a squeaky but dirty voice, one caked with mud and sludge to match the face. A Carrow. Y/n couldn't manage to rip her eyes from the teachers table that confirmed the rumours that floated around her neighborhood. Snape was head master and now they had verified death eaters as new teachers.

Silence instilled the Great Hall when the yelling ceased, a few whimpers came from the crowd of younger students, particularly the first years that were waiting to be sorted. The hall filled with a stagnant invisible haze that caused Y/n's throat to close, her face to pale.

Y/n managed to rip her eyes away from the revelation at the front of the hall to her fellow students, having counted six of her previous seven companions. She was missing a friend around the table; Draco Malfoy. It made sense to her in the moment why he was absent. To Y/n, Draco had wiggled his way to the top of her suspicions when he started acting strange at school last year around the time rumours began to spread; she just never wanted to admit what that meant.

Although it wasn't just the hall being deadly quiet and the new teachers that irked her, rather the people she was staring at; her friends that all looked bleaker. Y/n thought maybe it was because of the whole school seemed similar, hoping it was just the air.

"Y/n?" Pansy's voice called from beside Y/n, her eyes held distant concern, almost hesitant. She turned her head toward Pansy as she nodded curtly to show she was listening. "If Snape's head master now, who's going to take Dark Arts?"

Y/n had a few idea's on who'd take their classes now, and she wasn't happy about it.

"The Carrows." Y/n spoke sourly, her eyes glued to the front of the hall with a simmering caldron behind her eyes; brewing all sorts of resentments. But despite the horrors of the Carrows being involved in her school circle, the bubbling under the skin wasn't focused entirely upon them.

But the fools who sent her to school this year.

Although, not everyone harboured the same sense of anger toward the situation as her friends. Lorenzo who was seated on Y/n's left side, his hands in his lap as he picked at his nail beds looked ready to try and lighten the mood. But everyone felt the hang of anxiety in the air, no matter how hard they tried to hide it.

"I'm sure we'll be fine, Snape was our house teacher. Maybe he'll take it easy?" Lorenzo proposed with his face lifted up in a weak smile, it looked like his usual optimistic expression but lacked its warmth. Y/n would usually appreciate the attempt to shift the tone; this was not one of those times.

"Snape couldn't give a shit about the students, why else would he bring death eaters to teach us?" Y/n retorted, her eyes now on Lorenzo. Her voice a little harsher than intended. Pansy never liked seeing Y/n so brash against her own friends, hoping she could at least deescalate her best friend before the situation got ugly fast.

"Well, we don't really know if they are-"

"They are, let's not pretend it's up in the air." Y/n cut her off, the simmering started to bubble over in her e/c eyes."Once a death eater, always a death eater."

Y/n wished she was more open minded sometimes, wished she could believe that people were good, that they were better than her assumptions; but she was always proven wrong in the end. Pushing her to only expect the worst possible outcome and accept it for what it was.