𝐂𝐇𝐏 𝟐𝟏 - One on One

THIRD PERSON's POV

The stairway clung to the chill in the air, both pairs of footsteps uneven to match their individual rhythms. Each one taking care to make as little noise as possible due to the early hours of the morning they walked in. The sky still stained with the ink of the night, two in the morning approached as Peeves scurried around waiting to catch unsuspecting rule breakers. They quietly conversed as they descended the steps, whispering to one another in caution of surrounding ghosts, peering over the corner and down into the hall where no one appeared.

Y/n slowly walked onward as Mattheo followed her, sneaking around the halls giving both students adrenaline spikes. Each time they would hear a noise, no matter how quiet, they would freeze, waiting in clear silence for something to come. After a dozen stops, Mattheo and Y/n had made to the dungeon steps, smiling to themselves as Peeves wasn't known to travel into the dungeons; that was until a sharp giggling was heard from the wall beside them,

"I see you~"

Mattheo mentally cursed before grabbing Y/n's arm and bolting down the stairs, sprinting down the hall and toward the common room although when a jinx was thrown at them from an irritated head of Slytherin, both laid backs facing the floor and hands now parted with grimacing lips. That was until Y/n burst out laughing, the joyful chimes of her voice causing the boy to join in.

Now the two sat in detention, separated by a rooms length as a huffing Filch sat in a chair with Mrs Norris laying on his lap. Mattheo would smirk at Filches scrunched face, reminding him of a prune while Y/n tried to do at least some of the repetitive line work they were assigned by an amused Dumbledore. Y/n was surprised they weren't sent to the Forbidden forest or into the cellar cleaning, wondering why Dumbledore let them off the hook; she was almost certain it would be bad due to Mattheo's father and the Head Masters history.

They were to be in detention for a few hours, 'as long as they were out past curfew' Dumbledore had said, which he promptly set 3 hours which was almost true; she thought it was partly because and hour and a half was too short. Although after around an hour into the morning detention, Filch had fallen asleep along with Mrs Norris in his wooden chair that hardly looked comfortable. Mattheo noticed the opportunity and threw a scrunched parchment ball at Y/n from his seat, appropriately aiming for her head which landed softly from her forehead to her desk.

Y/n looked up slightly annoyed at the attempt to get her attention, Mattheo once having it motioned his hand as if he were writing on a page. She understood what he was motioning but figured it would get annoying to have to throw the page back and forth every time they wanted to talk, so she enchanted the crumpled page along with her own by using the Protean Charm, connecting the two so they could converse through them from their respective sides of the room. After she tested the spell to see if it worked, Y/n crumped the paper into a ball again and threw it back to Mattheo, the paper landing in his hand as her accuracy was a little off to the left.

He unravelled the paper and watched her writing begin to appear on his paper in a neat fashion, her writing seemingly to represent a type writer with her vowels being a little larger than the rest. Mattheo smiled at her Charms work, now understanding why she was an advanced student, often tweaking existing spells to more her liking.

The next two hours was spent with writing to each other, back and forth as they shared small looks to display their reactions, using the time inside to talk about little details, times of exams, Mattheo asking when his tutoring would pick up again which Y/n rolled her eyes at. Their conversation coming to a stop as Filch woke from his chair by his own snoring, half an hour until their release, Mrs Norris back on the guard. Y/n whispered a spell under her breath, moving her wand to discreetly hover over the paper,