Chapter 1

I opened my eyes. Darkness. The only source of light was the pale and beautiful, full moon. But it was out of focus. The whole world was out of focus.

My eyes adjusted to the darkness and even though my vision was blurry I could tell I was surrounded by trees. I had no memory of where I was before, but I was certain it wasn't here. I'd never go into the woods alone, much less at night. I was far too paranoid and inexperienced to wander around without knowing the area perfectly.

I tried to remember where I was before, but my brain responded with a headache. It was then that I noticed the sharp and burning pain I felt around my waist, legs, back, and core.

I attempted to stand up but my body wouldn't move, wouldn't listen. I was slowly becoming more aware of my surroundings and situation. It was like slowly regaining consciousness. It was cold, extremely cold, and it didn't help the ground was wet, I could feel some sort of liquid around my head. I tried to move, to get up, but my efforts proved to be useless as my body wasn't responding.

I tried my best not to freak out. What did I know? I was hurt. I went through the things I learned in med school. I was disoriented, probably from hitting my head or some sort of contusion. So it was safe to assume that the 'pool' of liquid was blood and I was losing a lot of it fast. I needed to locate my injuries and stop the bleeding because if I didn't, my body would go into Hypovolemic shock. 

It was clear I went through a traumatic experience, and though I didn't remember it, my body did. It was causing what I hoped was temporary paralysis. The first thing I needed was to be able to move. That way I could at least locate my injuries. I slowly tried to become aware of my body and regain some type of sensation, with this, would come pain but I needed the pain to survive. 

And so I did, I started trying to move my right index finger, it was resting near my side, and I could feel it. As I regained feeling I noticed why it was so cold. I was not wearing any clothes. I couldn't focus on what that meant right now. I knew if I did I wouldn't survive this.

 Slowly but surely I was able to move my arm and place my hand in front of my face. A sticky, warm liquid gleamed under the moonlight. Blood. I placed my hand back where it was before and started applying pressure. 

I tried not to panic while I assessed the situation. Which was extremely hard. I was badly hurt, the pain was obviously there for a reason. My body was paralyzed and I had no idea where I was. The more I forced myself out of that dizzying state the more I felt the pain, and the more I listened to the sounds around me.

"Help!" I tried to scream but out of me came barely a whisper. "Help!" I tried again, a little louder but still, not enough. And even if I managed to scream, would anyone hear me? There were no sounds of traffic, or civilization, only silence, and running water.

 My head was spinning, my whole body hurt and though I tried to stay awake I felt a need to sleep. My thoughts weren't making sense as I was overcome with drowsiness. I knew if I passed out, It would be over so I fought it with everything I had. Was this the way I would die? Alone, in the forest. Would anyone ever find me?

And just when I was about to close my eyes, I hear it. Steps. Loud and strong steps. My hope turned into utter fear when I saw where they were coming from. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see it. The most enormous creature of its kind I had ever seen. A black wolf, the size of a bear. I was forced out of that hyperrational state as I faced the last of my conclusions.

I was going to die. I couldn't move, from what I could tell the wounds were severe. No one would find me on time, and even if they did I would die before they could get any help. And now, a wolf had found me, a wounded easy prey, completely defenseless.

The hyperrational state my mind had entered in order to survive was no longer there. And I started feeling my emotions slam down on me. The weight of them was so barbaric I thought I would be crushed under it.

 I started crying, praying, and begging anyone who listened for my death to be quick. And as I felt it draw closer I only slightly opened my eyes. The being lowered his head and sniffed the air loudly. I somehow felt it was just curious. But I knew that wolves would rarely pass on a wounded defenseless human. Food was food, and I understood that.

It took a step closer and I saw his eyes, the most beautiful gold shone proudly in them. I somehow felt at peace when I saw him, and so, even though I knew I was going to die. I wondered if anyone other than my patients would miss me. I hoped someone would. That at least my life meant something.

I had no family or friends. All my life I'd been focused on achieving one goal: becoming a psychiatrist. I slaved myself in med school, shutting out everyone because my career came first. And yes, I graduated early, but at what cost? I had no loved ones, no one to remember me by.

I started feeling extremely sleepy. I knew that if I closed my eyes I'd become unconscious, but the darkness was beckoning me. It's sweet song lulling me to sleep.

And a loud howl was the last thing I heard before I closed my eyes and slipped into the darkness inside of my head.