Chapter 16

I didn't particularly hate that trip as much as I thought I was going to. There was wine, there was cheese, and I had an amazing time. I love adventurous food, especially cheese. I adore cheese, the weirder the better. Maybe because of the dishes I ate as a child. 

Vancouver had a lot of really good restaurants, I really loved this city, it was hard to imagine having to leave it behind.

Harlan arranged transport for me, and all I had to do as I got into a very expensive-looking car was to give my address. The driver - who later introduced himself as Dean - took me to my apartment. 

My apartment building was nice, not too expensive considering my salary. It was a mostly reasonable place to live for a boring and reasonable person like me. Don't get me wrong, I loved my apartment, I just suddenly came to realize I never lived life on the edge. Always did what was best for my future, and never made an impulsive decision. 

Therefore as I entered my building and subsequently my apartment - with the help of my landlord- I felt something I couldn't quite discern. It was the feeling you get when you walk into a place you made great memories in but in a different stage of your life. You love that place, yes, and it brings you good memories, but it also brings a sense of loss. Maybe more like a yearning for something that you know will never happen again.

That place didn't feel like my house anymore, the person that lived there seemed so different from the one that was standing there. So much had changed in so little time. The things I know to be true have changed, I have changed. 

I walked around what was a mostly undecorated apartment, I never really spent that much time here, I was always at work. My apartment felt so lifeless, except for a picture of me and my grandmother I didn't have any memorabilia. I had plants, though. Mostly cacti because of my lifestyle. I walked past my living room and into the kitchen where I opened the fridge and saw that same bottle of ketchup that had been there since I moved in.

I sighed as I went to one of the bedrooms which was filled with smutty books, the only sex life I'd had for years, just me and my pink little friend. That fact was so depressing it made me snort. I'd like to keep these books, I think I've grown attached to them. 

I glanced over to my desk, filled with casefiles and stacks of paper I never got around to throwing out. I wouldn't have the heart to now, it all just seems like walking through a museum. 

Finally making it into the room I plopped down on my bed, savoring the softness of my mattress. This was my favorite thing in the place, this bed. I looked around the mostly empty room and sighed. Feeling an overwhelming sadness for something I couldn't quite expect.

This wasn't my room anymore, these weren't my things. This apartment belonged to the woman that died in the woods that night. This life wasn't mine anymore. And I didn't quite hate it.

I wanted to be someone who had tons of pictures of the people she loved in her house, I wanted to be able to decorate with the art I liked, and I want to paint the wall a thousand different colors. I want to have a balanced life, I want to fall in love and have kids. 

I thought the only way I could be someone was if I was as accomplished as my mother and if I managed to contribute as much as she did. And I love my field, I love my patients but I was losing myself. I prevented myself from becoming who I really was because I never gave myself the chance.

Maybe that was why I survived that night, maybe this was my second chance. Change can be good, I use to say to one of my patients. Well, it's about time I practiced what I preached.

I decided I would go out and buy clothes I actually liked - as opposed to buying them because they were work-appropriate- but for that I needed money. I looked around, hoping it was around here somewhere, and sure enough. There it was.

My purse, I only ever had one, it was black and it matched everything. I rummaged around it and found my wallet and keys, my phone was nowhere to be seen though. Well, at least I didn't have to replace any of the items in my wallet, that would have been a nightmare.

My car was also stationed in my building's garage. This obviously gave me more clues about what happened before I left Vancouver, but I didn't want to think about it right now. I could process that later, with a therapist. I of course needed help to remember, maybe even get my memories back through hypnosis. But I'm worried about what those memories might be, especially when they involve creatures of the night. Any professional with a sane mind would have me committed.

Pushing those thoughts aside, I drove to the closest mall. I went from shop to shop, trying on different things that caught my eye. Understanding why people came with friends so they could give their opinion and stuff. I didn't really know what I thought about most things. I just know I bought mostly dresses and runners. I liked heels but I had a feeling heels and forests don't mix well.

After a few other stops like getting boxes and food, I finally went back to my apartment. Ready to start deciding what to take with me. Well, that was the intention, but I had a few too many bottles of wine and ended up binge-watching a reality show on Netflix. 

I wondered what Harlan might be doing, I had kept the phone he gave me close by in case he texted. But after a while, I guessed I would see him when it was time to go back to Miracle, or whatever they called their little community.

It wasn't until 1 am that the phone finally buzzed. I couldn't sleep for some reason so I was up when it went off. Harlan had sent a single text.

'Address'

Was he drunk? Does he want my address? Is that what he's asking?  Well, more like demanding.

'What do you mean? Do you want my address, is that it?' I replied, feeling like I was talking to a moody teenager.

'Obviously'  He is as chatty over the phone, turns out.

'Why?' I ask, is he checking just to make sure I didn't eat someone or does he want to babysit me?

'Address' is all he replies, as if talking to me was wasting his time.

I didn't really want to cave in, but I had a feeling if I didn't he was just going to track me anyway- assuming werewolves could do that- So sent him my address.

It takes him a while, but as soon as he knocked on the door I could smell him. That musky smell of rain feels so strangely comforting.

"I'm coming," I say as I get up from the couch and shuffle over to open the door. What I find on the other side was almost the death of me.

Harlan was wearing a black dress shirt, missing a few buttons on the top. His hazel eyes were glossed over and he was leaning over the frame for support. He looked so hot I had to take a step back.

I didn't realize I was gawking until he said "What?"

It was when he spoke that I scented it, alcohol. "You're drunk" I knew he was, so I didn't ask.

"I drank" he gestured to the empty bottle of wine on my coffee table "So did you."

He walked past me and a third smell hit me, this time it was delicate, it smelled like sweet citrus. It was a female scent. I had no idea how I knew that, but I did.

So that was what he was doing all day. He had said he'd come to see someone. I should have guessed it.

"I'm staying here tonight, to make sure you don't wolf out," he said calmly. "I'm taking the main room."

"This is my house" I replied.

"Yes, and I am your guest," he said with a cocky grin." But if you have issues with it, you are more than welcome to join me."

Drunk Harlan seemed more coy, happier, and less like a jerk. He also seemed more flirty, giving me a look that had me blushing and looking away. As if warning me what would happen if I did decide to join him.

"Just take the bed."