Preview: A Demon's Past

I always knew I was insane, I just never told anyone.

A girl with dresses of stars and wings of galaxies.

A boy with eyes of raging oceans. Storms trapped in his gaze.

She loved him, he loved her.

But his eyes turned black and hers were white, and she was falling again.

I've had the same dream every night for as long as I can remember, sometimes the girl that's falling is me, and the only sound is my screams.

Sometimes the boy's eyes aren't raging oceans but strong, warm, and stable earth.

Sometimes he says something in a language that doesn't exist, sometimes she says something back.

I miss someone I've never met. When I'm awake I miss a boy I only see in my dreams. A boy that looks at me like I'm his whole world... But then again, the girl in the dream isn't always me.

When I was little, I had a crush on him. But as I grew older I understood the story better, the girl wasn't falling on her own, she was pushed. And the boy may have uttered sweet words at her, but he let her fall.

He, with his owl-like wings and beautiful face. He with a silver tongue and a lover's gaze. He was the bad guy in the story. And I learned to fear his darkness.

____

I've always seen things others can't, blinding light and night-black shadows surrounding them, coming out of certain people. I learned the blinding light was good, it was safe. And as beckoning as the shadows were, as tempting as they felt, they were unknown to me. That is until she died.

My sister took her own life on the day of my eighteenth birthday. That is when I met darkness for the first time, that is when my already faltering mental health became more and more fragile.

I've always seen things that weren't there, but then I saw her. Dressed in white, eyes widened, panic-stricken. Her once stunning beauty was now what made her so terrifying.

I called her name but she didn't answer, she never did.

And for the first time in eighteen years, I had a different dream.

"He's coming for you Ellie," she said, walking around me in circles, her hair so blonde it was almost white.

"Who is?" I called out into the darkness, the only light in the pitch-black space was coming from her.

"The wolf," she said, and just as she was about to say something else, she was snatched out of my sight and thrust into the shadows.

I never saw my sister again.

But I did see the wolf eventually. He was just dressed in sheep's clothing.

I should've known instantly because no little lamb could ever grin like that. With so much sin.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Check out: A Demon's Past for more <3