Chapter 62

I woke up in the middle of the night to an empty bed. 

I turned around to check the bathroom but he wasn't in it either. I started getting worried but then I felt a surge of happiness that wasn't mine. He was okay, that was good.

But he was still far away and It pained me for some reason, it seemed like every second we got wasn't enough, like we couldn't be close enough. It was exhilarating and somewhat frustrating, but I'd grown accustomed to it, in so little time.

I got up from the bed and grabbed his sheet with me as I quickly went to my room across the hall and picked up some of my own pajamas. I also grabbed a bunch of clothes from the dresser and shuffled back to Harlan's room to put them in his closet. 

I guessed I would be staying here more often, and considering how nice Harlan's room is, I knew I wouldn't mind it. Hopefully, he wouldn't either.

I took a deep breath as I went back to bed, feeling empty he wasn't here, but happy he was okay. I told myself I didn't need more than that as I fell asleep.

____

The next morning I was woken up by a knock on the door. 

I slowly opened my eyes and saw Harlan's arm around me. He groaned.

If I had to guess who it was, I'd have said Selene, by how lightly she knocked. And her scent confirmed it seconds later.

I went to get up but Harlan held me tighter as he said in a very sexy morning voice "Leave, we're sleeping."

"I'm sorry," Selene said "But I can't, we have a lot to plan."

"Plan what?" I asked Harlan and he rolled his eyes.

"They don't need to know so soon," he said.

"Mating season is around the corner" she reminded him, and that seemed to do the trick. 

He got up immediately and said, "Give us five minutes to shower."

"Okay," Selene said, knowing she had gotten to him, but I still wondered exactly what was going on.

"Would you please tell me what is going on?" I asked, getting up as well.

He took a deep breath as he walked into the open bathroom and started taking his clothes off. I turned around instinctively and  I could practically hear him smirk as he said "Shy? Really? After everything we've done?"

"Shut up," I said, turning around but still not looking at him. "Tell me."

"Well, it's pack stuff really, more of a formality," he started "But now that we are mated we are considered to be..." he searched for the words "In human terms, married."

"What?" I asked, completely surprised as I forget my shyness and look at him. "Married? We didn't even date or anything!"  I exclaimed, why wasn't this mentioned to me?

"Well, if you think about it, it's more serious than a marriage," he said turning on the shower and jumping in. It was a clear glass shower so I could still see him perfectly "The mark is a promise we'll stay together forever, so I guess it is kind of similar."

I was having a hard time breathing between seeing him naked again and trying to process this.

"Wolves usually mark their mate as soon as they find them, the dating and everything else comes after," he said, pushing his hair back and making me dizzy. The way his arms flexed made me want to join him.

I did know it was forever, and that didn't bother me, I guess I just wanted something a little more romantic and less tragic. Maybe a proposal and wedding. A honeymoon...

"So what does that mean?" I asked, adverting my gaze from the glory of his muscular body.

He sighed and got out, putting a towel around his waist. "Well, as my mate, you are the beta female now" This seemed to make him nervous, but this wasn't news to me. He should have been nervous about just announcing we were married.

"Yes?" I prompted him to continue.

"Well that title comes with certain responsibilities," he said walking over and sitting next to me. "You're basically going to do my job."

This all seemed perfectly logical, so I asked, realizing I didn't know "What exactly is your job?"

"I'm Damien's right-hand man, I help him make decisions, I manage the gammas, and handle pack finances, it is a whole ordeal," He said looking at me afraid I might refuse.

"So I'll help Damien too?" I asked.

"You'll help Selene and Damien if I'm away. Selene is in charge of more social matters. She can explain the details" Harlan said getting up and walking toward his closet.

"Well, I'm glad to help" And I was, also excited. I walked over to the bathroom and started removing my clothes for a shower.

"There is one more thing," he said, I couldn't see him anymore as the closet was next to the bathroom in its own little room.

"What?" I said, getting in and washing myself.

"There is something we do," he sounded nervous "You don't have to do it if you don't want to," he stopped for a moment.

"What is it?" I said, laughing a little.

"Well, usually when one of the people in the ruling circle finds a mate we throw a... party" he started "To introduce the new member of the pack and celebrate the union."

I could tell this meant something to him, and how could it not? I kept forgetting these people have their own history, culture, and beliefs. And I want to be part of them, if only because it means so much to my friends.

So how could I say no?

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around me to go out and meet him. As soon as I was in front of him I kissed him and said "I would like that."

The smile on his face made me so happy I made us both late to meet Selene.