Chapter 46

The full moon was finally upon us.

"Fuck, this place is scary" Elowen said looking around "Are you sure you'll be okay here alone?"

"I'll be fine" I lied, I wasn't going to be fine, or at least I couldn't be sure about it. "As long as ghosts don't come out to haunt me" I joked. Callum, Elowen, and Arden had come to help me with the chains and the locks and all the things that were meant to keep me in here. Blaze was running late and Damien refused to step into this place, saying he had to help Selene with the preparations.

Harlan wasn't speaking to me. I found out he and Damien had a fight because he let me use this place.

"There is no such thing," Callum said "Ghosts are just demons using their powers to make fun of humans" He looked around "But this does seem like a place where they would pop up."

"Why do demons do that?" I asked. I still didn't remember that demon's name, and I was starting to believe it was intentional.

"They are pure evil, unfiltered and concentrated" Callum continued "They relish in people's suffering,  those horrible wretched things."

"But no one really knows why they do it, they just like to" Arden explained seeing the confusion etched into my face "The minor demons sometimes do not even possess a corporeal form, inhabiting the souls of the unprotected humans. But those are mostly harmless."

"It's the lords and ladies of hell that are troublesome, the true fallen angels," Elowen said. 

"Didn't you say you weren't sure angels were a thing? or God for that matter?" I asked.

"Well demons say there are such things as angels, but demons lie" Elowen ran her hands through her pin-straight hair "When dealing with one of those you should always know, nothing they say is true."

"Well, it could be partially true, but never entirely" Callum clarified and she nodded. "You still don't remember the name of the demon Violette was speaking to?"

"Didn't she tell you about it?" I asked.

"She said she'd handle it, that is all," Callum said "I love the girl, but she always makes things so complicated."

We heard steps and suddenly a sweaty Blaze manifested "Who?" he said in between pants.

"No one, why are you so smelly?" Callum teased.

"Why are you here?" Blaze responded. "I was working, unlike you, you lazy fuck."

"Geee, watch that mouth" Callum put an offended hand to his chest "I'm here, helping my friend, that is work."

Blaze glanced at me and smiled, I was trying not to look at the way his neck and arms glistened with sweat. He was wearing a simple T-shirt and jeans, like Elowen. But the way his tight shirt outlined his body was almost criminal. 

"You okay?" he asked with a grin.

"I'm fine." I said, "Can you guys help me get chained up? I'm growing increasingly nervous."

Murmurs of agreement were followed by what has to be one of the weirdest experiences I'd ever had. All of my friends were helping chain me up and talking casually as they did so.

They stayed with me as long as they could, but all of them left as soon as the ceremony started. I understood it was their duty to attend and that they were all in leadership positions but I was still scared.

I knew that if I asked them to, they would stay but I couldn't bring myself to.

I awaited patiently the apex of the moon, feeling the magic in my bones shift and grow as it came near. I was alone and afraid, knowing exactly what would happen as soon as the time came. The unbearable pain, the dizziness, the bones breaking, and tendons forming. It was a truly awful experience. I had no idea how my friends did it so quickly and painlessly.

The last thing I remember was mind-numbing pain and confusion. 

____

I was confused, I thought I was back in Miracle transitioning but suddenly I was back in my consultatory. I looked around, I dozed off while talking to a patient, it seemed.

"I'm sorry," I said but something felt wrong. I don't remember ever having him as a patient, but he was talking with such a deep voice. My head hurt, so much. 

I was seeing double as the man spoke "Don't worry dear, you're tired" his voice sounded mature with age but he couldn't have been older than forty-five. I glanced at his file but it was fuzzy, everything was blurry. "So have you decided?"

I was tired, so tired "Decided what?" the man's jaw could cut me open, his hazel eyes were astonishing and his black hair only had a few white streaks in it.

"If you are coming to Miracle with me," he said scratching a spot above his short and well-cared-for beard. He was wearing a Rolex, I noticed a silver one that matched his expensive suit perfectly.

"Why would I go there with you again?" I was so confused and tired, so, so tired.

"The job opportunity," the man said.

What job opportunity? 

I wanted to ask so badly but I was embarrassed I was so tired, I was working, and this wasn't professional. And he was so attractive, why couldn't I remember his name? I know he has a weird name, one I had never heard before.

"Diana dear?", he said, looking me up and down. "If you're tired sleep, I don't mind" I was now considering it. Why not?

My eyes started closing, and the last thing I heard before I fell asleep was "I have so many things planned for you."