Chapter 31

I hadn't had time to buy a lot of casual clothes. So I made my way into Damien's study wearing work clothes. I supposed it would be fine, this was a meeting after all, right?

I went down those stairs, the same ones that the man had thrown me off of. The thought of that day still made me sick, a lot of things still made me sick.

I knocked on the door, pretty sure I had gotten the room wrong - the house was gigantic. But I could smell all of them on the other side of the door, I could also hear them talking.

"I can't believe you woke her up" Callum's voice sounded amused.

"I can't believe you are running around with vampires" Elowen responded.

"Come in!" Selene said and I opened the door to find them all sitting in a sitting area. All wearing casual clothes. Okay, so not a formal type of meeting then.

"Jesus, what are you wearing?" Elowen, who was sitting next to her mate said. I looked down at my long black pencil skirt and white button-up.

"Ellie!" Arden exclaimed as she shook her head disapprovingly. "You look great Diana,"

"I love your heels" Selene smiled and Harlan snorted when he saw me.

"Meeting the queen of England, are you?" Harlan spoke and I scowled at him.

"Hey, at least you came, that's what matters," Damien said, he was sitting behind a huge desk. 

I examined the room, it was filled with a thousand different books, and there was a sitting area and a chimney as well. A house so big must have been really cold without so many of them.

"I apologize, I didn't know what the dress code was" I sat in the only place there was room, next to Harlan. Selene sat on the other side of her husband's desk, her legs dangling.

"Don't worry, you could show up in whatever you want and they would still tease you" Blaze said from his spot on an individual chair. "Don't do that guys" he said very seriously.

"That is how we show our love" Callum chimed in "And having you criticize us for something like that is like having Elowen telling us to be kind," he said with a smile.

"It would be very hypocritical" Elowen added and I couldn't help but laugh. 

"It's okay Blaze really," I said but he didn't look too convinced.

"But--"

"She said she's okay with it Blaze, she's a big girl, she can handle it," Harlan said and they stared at each other for a minute before Blaze stood down.

"Are you two done?" Selene asked and they turned to look at her. "I love you all, but please be a bit more serious, we have called you here for an important matter."

"Sorry Luna" Elowen said, showing a very different side of herself. The jokester unfiltered person she was disappeared and all I could see in front of me was the seriousness of a true general.

"It's okay" Damien finally spoke. He looked pale and had dark bags under his eyes. He hadn't been sleeping well, we could all tell. "As you all know very well we've had a few rebel attacks, the first one collecting the life of a human and turning her against not only her will but the sacred rules of our pack."

The silence around the room was tense, heavy. It carried something I could not distinguish.

Harlan looked very angry at that, and so did Blaze for some reason. "That is why you're here" Damien announced. "The right to revenge is yours, we will all stand behind you" Selene cringed as if she knew what was coming next and Damien eyed her protectively "But first you need to remember."