[27] ~Murphy's Law~

Depictions of child abuse, anxiety attacks. (And PTSD? Just in case.)

~~~~~~~~~

4S could feel the heat circulating between his palms. He glared at the tree infront of him, his frustration clear after many past failures. Cobs had placed him on a different, far more taxing training regiment. Specifically designed for the power 4S had seemingly gained out of nowhere.

He was in the dome once again. Cobs had told him to burn the tree down by the end of the day, it was almost 5 now, he had to be quick. The tree always confused him, its unnatural blue leaves standing out against the green foliage. Cobs never explained, and 4S never asked, he doubted Cobs would explain even if he did. Despite working at it for hours, the tree had only been blackened slightly, it wasn't good enough.

4S took a deep breath, the fire like light swirling around his fingers. Then in one big rush of heat, he pushed it forwards. The fire ripped from his hands and hit the tree dead on. Despite being in contact with the wood, the fire didn't move from that spot. 4S had learned over time that despite having the properties of fire, the energy didn't act like it at all.

The fire refused to move unless 4S moved it himself, even on flammable surfaces. Slowly, 4S commanded the fire to move upwards. The flames crawled up the tree at an excruciatingly slow pace, still not good enough. 4S pushed harder, digging his fingers into the wood, his anger apparent. The red flames wouldn't move no matter how much 4S told it too. 4S practically growled, pushing even harder.

It was a mistake.

His hands twitched and sparked before a wave of heat and fire fell over them. 4S yelped, and staggered backwards with a grunt of pain. He fell to the floor, letting out a choked cry as a burning pain shot through him like a fire cracker. The flames flew around him in a violent frenzy, cutting into his arms and back like serrated knifes.

Embers flew from his eyes, the glow in them flickering as the energy slipped even further from his control. He felt tears build in his eyes, but the overwhelming heat evaporated them before they could even fall. He curled in on himself internally begging for the pain to stop.

Eventually, the fire died down, leaving 4S sore and trembling. He coughed weakly, his entire body burning. He attempted to move his shaking and burnt hands, wincing as his metal joints burned. A familiar set of footsteps from outside the dome sent a stab of panic through him. He shot up, his damaged body protested, but his fear overruled his pain.

He rubbed the stray tears from his eyes and straightened up the best he could, his legs practically screamed for him to reconsider, but he ignored it, biting back another cry of pain. Cobs opened the door and walked up to the tree. 4S stole a glance at it while his back was turned.

The entire side of it was blackened cinder. Long gashes littered throughout the wood from the energy's violent outrage. "This is.... acceptable. Come to my office later today, I have an important assignment for you." Cobs turned away from the tree, not sparing 4S a glance as he left the dome.

The moment the doors closed 4S couldn't stop himself from falling to the floor, his weak legs unable to support his weight any longer. He panted, his breath shaky and haggard, his throat felt like sandpaper. His hands wouldn't stop shaking, the energy had backfired before, a small burn or chest pain at the most, but nothing like this.

"This assignment better be worth it." He muttered under his breath, his previous frustration turning into full blown anger. He pushed himself up again, his fury allowing him to push through the pain.

"I just want this whole thing to be over."

~~~~~~~~~~
°

.
.
.
.