[28] ~Good Pretender~

Warning for blood and Cobs manipulating people's emotions because it's Cobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~

    4S hesitated for a good couple of minutes infront of Cobs's office door. Distant pain still nawed at his legs and joints but he pushed it down despite himself. He took a deep breath before knocking on the door, no going back now. He stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before Cobs's muffled voice came through the door.

    "Come in 4S." 4S nodded to himself, he straighted up and walked inside. Cobs sat at his desk, looking through a file with an unfamiliar picture of a Mephone clipped to the front. Cobs glanced up at him. "Close the door." 4S shut the door and faced Cobs, hands behind his back. Cobs rose from his desk, file in hand.

    "Mephone4S are you aware why I've had to put you through such intense training for the past month?" 4S stood there, slightly caught off guard by the question. "To make this energy more powerful sir." 4S answered. Cobs look at him for a moment before shrugging. "True, but not quite."

    Cobs beckoned him closer to his desk, turning to a very specific page in the file and throwing it on the table. The page showed a picture of the Mephone with a very detailed physical description. What caught his eye the most was the big "Traitorous" written in red pen under the description column. "This Mephone, was the device before you, Mephone4." Cobs began.

    "You two are essentially the same model, except you are far more advanced." Cobs grinned as he spoke. 4S felt a strange sense of pride at that fact, he was the most advanced Mephone. Given Cobs's lack of regular praise 4S felt oddly happy he had acknowledged him.

    "This Mephone is the reason you have been training so hard." Cobs pointed towards the picture. "It has stolen a valuable device from me, called a Mepad. Mephone4 has proven traitorous and is useless to me now...." Cobs trailed off, staring at 4S. "You're not useless, are you 4S?" 4S stood there stunned for a beat before stuttering out an answer. "No- no sir I'm not useless. Whatever assignment you give me I will complete it." 4S replied, determination in his voice. Cobs narrowed his eyes before he smiled. "Good."

    4S couldn't tell if the smile was fake or not. "You will be tasked with locating it and bringing it back here, dead, or alive." 4S's eyes widened behind his glasses, but didn't say anything. "But, if you do choose to break it be sure to leave the body mostly intact. There's something important I must retrieve from it." Cobs closed the file. "You will also be tasked with finding the Mepad and bringing it back to me. It is stolen tech after all."

    4S nodded robotically, accepting his task. "Your training will increase. Until you are sent out you will train day in and day out, do you understand?" 4S felt his joints throb. "Yes...I understand sir." Cobs put the file back in his drawer and sat back down. "It's best you get started as soon as possible." Cobs payed him no mind as he spoke. "Because you only have two months to train."

    4S felt a wave of ice cold panic fall over him. Two months!? There was no way he could get the energy under control in that time- especially with the injuries he received from it. What if it happens again? What if every single time he tries to use it it always hurts like that.... "Head back to the dome and start your training. You are dismissed."

    4S felt the heavy doors close behind him, and like Cobs instructed, he went towards the dome. In the chaos of his swarming thoughts 4S managed to focus on one thing, Mephone4. His fear and frustration turned to anger, this was its fault. If it hadn't run off this never would have happened. 4S glared at the floor. All the training and pain was its. Fault.

    4S threw the dome doors open and slammed them shut. That Mephone4 was coming back to Meeple dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
°

.
.
.
.