The Santa Mug (fluff)

Spencer Reid x fem!reader

Summary: who would've thought a Santa mug could dig up such memories

Category: tooth rotting fluff

Content warnings: Spencer thinking about his past, happiness, fluff, they drink hot chocolate with milk, one swear

Word count: 1.1k

[Ko-fi: https://href.li/?https://ko-fi.com/spookydrreid ] [no pressure!]

...

Christmas season was one of merriment and nostalgia. Traditions were passed on and children made list for things they wanted. And for me and Spencer? It was about making our own traditions. He didn't have many happy memories of the holidays, claiming after his dad left, his mother simply forgot. So, its been a process for him. One I was more than happy to help with.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, pulling me out of my little daze. It's Spencer. He's been away on a case for the past week, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him. "Hi baby!" I smile as I speak.

"Hi sweetheart! What are you doing?" I know he can hear the hustle and bustle around me.

"Christmas shopping! I found some cute things for us!" I am overly excited for all the things that I got him. You could say I try to make up for all those years he didn't have a good Christmas.

"I'm sure! I just wanted to tell you that we'll be home by tomorrow. And then we can go do more Christmas shopping if you want. Maybe get lunch?"

My heart soars with excitement at the idea of him finally coming home. I missed waking up next to him, him finding me in his sleep and cuddling me in the middle of the night. I missed eating breakfast with him before sending him off to work. He was my home, and I felt lost when he wasn't here.

"I would love that, Spence! Be careful flying home, yeah?"

I can almost hear the nod through the phone, "I promise. I'll see you soon. I love you, pretty girl."

My heart races at his sentiment, knowing he means it more than anything. "I love you most, pretty boy." I giggle through the phone and he does too before we mutter our final goodbyes.

I putter around target for a little longer, looking for things to get his friends and some yankee swap gifts for the office Christmas party the BAU hosts. It was then that I stumbled upon a little Santa mug. Its just his face, beard and all. His cheeks rosy and his nose red. It's cute and I instantly pick up two, one for me and one for him. I'm giddy inside at the idea of drinking hot chocolate out of them with the love of my life. And with that I head to the check out area.

...

I'm standing right inside the door way when he comes in, hands behind my back and a smile on my face. "Hi baby!" I grin as he looks at me.

He looks at my hands, still behind my back, quizzically "what cha got there, pretty girl." He drops his bags and walks closer.

My smiles grows closer as he towers over me, "I bought us a present." And its then that I bring my hands out from behind my back, presenting him with his mug. "I got one for me too! So we match."

He turns the cup over in his hands, his eyes filling with tears that he tries to blink away before I see them. But he's too late.

"D-do you not like it? I can return it! I'm sorry!" I start rambling off an apology but he stops me with a kiss.

He answers as soon as he pulls back "no I love it. So much. I just..." he takes a deep breath, wiping his tears, "I had this cup as a kid. Well, one similar. And my mom was having a bad day and thought that it was listening to us. So, she broke it." He has a sad smile as he turns it over in his hands again.

I cant help the squeezing of my heart as the pain flashes in his face while he tells me. This happens here and there, him retelling the things he went through as a child. I want, more than anything to erase those, and turn the pain to happiness.

"That wont happen again, Spencer." I coo as I pat his chest. "How about we make hot chocolate bombs? I bought a few in my travels!" I have a smile on my face as I ask.

"What is that?" I can see the pain fade, his curiosity getting the best of him.

I pull back, nearly bouncing as I pull him to the kitchen, using a pot to start heating up some milk. "So, they are made from melted chocolate and inside is cocoa mix and marshmallows! You just pour the hot milk over it and it melts the shell and boom! Hot cocoa!"

He grins, "I love hot cocoa! I have to try these." The pain is gone from his eyes, excitement replacing it. Its child-like and my heart pounds with happiness. The milk gets hot enough and I pull it off the stove.

"Okay. Okay ready?" I place the ball in his Santa mug before doing the same with mine. "So you just... carefully pour this over the chocolate and..." I do it slowly, making sure to not spill. Spencer watches with wide eyes as the ball melts open, the powdered mix and marshmallows popping to the top.

"I'll get a spoon!" While he does that, I start on mine. He hands me a spoon when I'm done and we mix up our drinks. Then I grab the whipped cream, spraying some into each mug.

I grin "okay! Try it!"

Spencer takes a sip, being careful not to burn himself. As soon as it hits his tongue he groans in delight, "fuck that's good!"

My eyes widen at his vulgar statement before a laugh bubbles out of me. "Did you just swear?"

He giggles and shrugs as he takes a sip, "its really good what can I say!" When the laughter dies down, he smiles over at me, eyes filled with love.

"What?" I ask, stepping closer.

He kisses me, tasting of our drinks, "I just... you always know how to turn a sad memory into a happy one. And I just couldn't be more grateful for you."

Its all I can do not to cry, "anything for you, Spence. You deserve all the good in this world. Always."

He kisses my forehead, "I have all the good... because of you."

I kiss his nose, "you'll always have me. Always.