𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄: 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐊𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐒 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋

AYATO

AYATO

THE COMMOTION AT SUCH AN early morning hindered my slumber, as I soon got ready for the day. I remember that I had mundane calligraphy classes today, and soon a retainer of mine told me that mother wanted to meet me after the class. Various servants were whispering to each other, it seemed like a new rumor had arose but I paid no mind to it.

I simply continued on with my day before I had to meet with my mother, as she seemed to look a bit more disheveled. "Mother, may I ask what the commotion is?" I tilt my head to the side a bit confusedly, as she simply offered me an patient tight-lipped smile. "The head of the Kujou Clan seems to have adopted two twins just a week ago, it seems that the news have traveled fastly."

Kujou Takayuki was a greedy man, someone that shouldn't be trusted easily but for the stability in the Tri-Commission, as much as I didn't want to converse with him I needed to approach him benevolently with a patient smile. "The other child I hear, is supposed to be given the title 'Lady' of the Kujou Clan. I've met her once, she seems to have gotten the ropes of etiquette rather quickly and treated me respectfully with a smile."

"I reckon that you both might get along with each other well, Ayato." Mother smiled at me fondly, putting up a layer of strength to mask how vulnerable her body was getting after father's death. I was well aware how her health was starting to deteriorate, as much as I didn't want her to leave it was simply inevitable. 'Is this her will..?'

"I heard she's into calligraphy and already practicing swordsmanship, you both have mutual interests so it seems." Mother chuckles softly to herself, the emotions in her eyes was unreadable. "My child, I am not telling you to go and court this lady in the future, but perhaps make a few friends around your age. You can not spend your time all the time with Ayaka and Thoma my dear."

"But mother, I am already contented with my sister's company including Thoma's as well." I frown lightly, but it didn't bother mother in the slightest and simply chuckles in response. "Someday, you'll grow to understand that in order to make capable allies you will need to communicate, hm?" Mother reaches out to ruffle my hair gently, as I felt myself keening into the warmth of her palm. "Yes.."

It didn't take long before that moment I relished in slipped past my fingers, now an forgotten remnant of the past that happened during the warm season of spring. Perhaps I had to grow up too as well.