𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐞𝐥 𝟗

Tatum sat next to John B at The Wreck while Kie was running tables at her family's business. "I'm sorry. You're staying where?" "Tannyhill."

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron." John B put his hand to his forehead, "Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right?"

"It's better than foster care which he was headed straight for," Tatum sang, walking over to stand next to JJ.

"Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" "I don't know, Pope," John B sat down.

"What about those golf carts they drive around? You got one of them?" "Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?"

"Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her," Kie said, obviously jealous of something.

"Bro, just own it. She got you," JJ wrapped an arm around Tatum. "Look, if you wanna hangout with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah."

"Do you guys see her here? No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic. We've got the map, right?"

"It's all out of whack 'cause the guy was ganja'd when he drew it," JJ looked down at the map in front of Pope.

"It's cause the coast has changed," Tatum gave him a smile. "So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed."

"What about the old forts?" "Battery Jasper," Kie pointed to the map, and the group of teenagers all looked at each other.

They found somewhere to start looking again, and just that was good enough for them.

...

"We're in Battery, right here. So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here," Pope pointed as they stood at the fort.

"Somewhere over there." "Right." "Over there? Guy's, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision."

"Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. It got sold into smaller pieces over time." "So we're just looking for an old stone wall," Pope dragged his finger along the map.

"We'll let's go looking then," Tatum jumped down from the rocks.

...

"Okay, so the road should split up here. All right. You're gonna take a left." John B didn't even press the brakes, steering left, the van making a screeching noise.

"Thanks, John," Tatum groaned as she slid, hitting the door. "That looks like a stone wall to me," JJ pointed at the stone wall that took up the length of the road.

"This is it." "Not the Crain house." They got out of the car, and Tatum scoffed, shaking her head. "Are you kidding me?"

"Worst case scenario." "Why'd it have to be here...of all places." "I heard that Mrs. Crain buried her husband's head on the property," JJ smirked, looking down at the blonde next to him. "Shut up," she rolled her eyes.

"Look, you guys know whose house this is, right?" Kie asked as they trekked through the uncut yard.

"Oh, yeah. No, I do." "Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place." Pope shushed John B, holding up his finger.

"What?" JJ sped up to walk next to Tatum. "Which stories did you hear?"

"The one where she killed her husband with an axe and that she's been holed up ever since. On certain nights, when the moon is full...you can see her in the window!" Tatum pretended to be scared.

"No, Tatum, it's not funny cause it's all true. I swear to God, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis. Jeez!" JJ exclaimed when he turned around and saw a statue.