Chapter 1

"Hello Mrs. McCoy," I greet the 50-year-old woman who is lying in the hospital bed, hooked up to several machines that are either monitoring her vitals, or administering life saving medications. "How are you feeling today?"

"Hello Eden," she warmly greets, despite her illness of kidney failure. "I am feeling good despite why I am here. Now, how many times have I asked you to call me Georgia, and not Mrs. McCoy?"

Raising my left eyebrow at her in defiance as I turn to check the machines and her I.V. medications; "Too many times to count since I refuse to call you by your first name."

Competing my task, I type my findings into my iPad as I feel Mrs. McCoy pull as she she stares me silently with me a strange expression.

Focusing on her face again, I worriedly ask her; "Are you alright?"

"Nothing is wrong other than my kidney failure," she responds softly. "Are you single by chance, Eden?"

Frowning at her odd question, I carefully answer; "Yes, I am currently unattached to anyone. Why do you ask, Mrs. McCoy?"

"I have a son you might get on with," she replies with a large smile causing my frown to deepen. "His name is Gage, he is 27-years-old, and he owns McCoy Enterprise."

"Mrs. McCoy, I appreciate the sweet thought, but I am not interested in dating anyone anytime soon," I try to kindly tell her. "I need to focus on..."

Before I can finish my sentence, there is a timid knock on the door that slowly opens with a tall man entering the room. His gaze flickers between Mrs. McCoy and myself in curiosity.

"Am I interrupting something important?" he asks, his voice is a deep baritone, and I swear by his voice alone, I could cum in my scrubs.

Damn, my hormones are getting the best of me at the moment, and I am slightly horrified at myself.

"Gage!" Mrs. McCoy happily calls out as she motions for him to come further into her room. "No, you are not interrupting anything important."

My whole body flushes a deep red as her words sink into my hormonal ragged mind. This Greek God standing in front of me is the son Mrs. McCoy wants me to date. There would be no way on this amazing planet that he would want to date me. He is clearly a ten where as I am a four at best. The man is around 6'1", muscular build, naturally tanned complexion, short dark brown hair, and he has beautifully intense blue eyes.

"Hello, I am Gage McCoy," the man greets warmly to me as he holds his right hand out toward me which I take for a firm hands shake.

Trying to give him my best warm smile as we shake hands; "Hello Mr. McCoy, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Eden James, and I am your mum's nurse, well, one of her nurses."

"It is nice to meet you, too, Eden," he returns with a knee jerking smile. "I hope mum is behaving herself for you?"

I have to hold myself together at how erotic my name sounds rolling off his tongue. He gives his mum a wink after starring intently at her, so I quickly assure him; "She is a model patient."

"That is good to hear," Mr. McCoy replies with a smile toward me, and then his mum. "How long have you been a nurse?"

Opening my mouth to answer him, there is a knock on the door as Alexis, another nurse and my best friend, entering as she takes in the room before focusing on me with a smile; "Ah, there you are Eden. I am your relief for your break."

Giving her a grateful smile since I am hungry, and my back is starting to hurt. Giving her a nod as she enters the room, I thank her, and then promise Mrs. McCoy that I will check on her again soon. Leaving the room, I give Alexis a small wink as I pass by her to walk the hallways to the staff lounge. Rummaging through the staff fridge for my insulated blue and black checkered lunch bag. Pulling it from the fridge when I find it, I turn away from the fridge to take a seat at a table when I let out a high pitched squeak. Mr. McCoy is standing in the doorway of the lounge.

"I am sorry, Eden, I did not mean to startle you," he quickly apologizes, and he seems genuinely guilty for giving me a fright as he steps into the room.

My left hand is resting on my extended belly as I breathe deeply to calm my racing heart, managing to calmly reply; "It is alright, Mr. McCoy. I just did not expect to see you there is all. Can I help you with something, sir?"

"It is not alright as I seemed to have frightened you greatly," he says as he stops a few feet from me. "I was wondering if I could take you out to dinner tonight as a thank you for taking such great care of my mum?"

Frowning at him, I shake my head; "I am sorry, sir, but no thank you. I am doing my duty by caring for her. Besides, she is an amazing lady, so that is all the thanks I need."

All I can say is that the beautiful man standing before me does not push further, making me explain my full, honest reason as to why I will not have dinner with him.

Mr. McCoy deeply frowns at me while asking me kindly; "Did mum say something to you about me before my arrival today?"

Biting my lower lip, deciding how to honestly answer him without hurting his feelings; "She did, yes. She, um, mentioned your name, age, and you owning your own company."

She said more than that, I imagine knowing her," he fondly chuckles, shaking her head affectionately about his mum. "I imagine she was just being mum, trying to hook up her single son. I imagine all mum's are that way with their children, wouldn't you agree?"

I can feel my eyes dulling as I shrug my shoulders as I sit at the table; "I would not know, sir, as I do not know my mother."

Fuck. I did not mean to say that to someone I do not know, even if he is the son of one of my favorite patients.

Our Little FamilyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara